Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2002, 03:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When the power goes out, be ready!

Well when the power goes out you still need heat and circulation for the tank. For the heat problem go buy foam insulation with at least a 5 rating so that it will save heat 5 times longer than without it. Cut the foam to the size of your tank and then duct tape the foam together. Now when the power goes out you can slip this over the tank and save the heat inside.

Now for the circulation, buy a marine battery (car battery will work but not as long), buy a dc to ac converter (you can find them on laptop websites), then buy a battery clip power adaptor (they sell them at auto part stores). Now when the power goes out you can hook up the power adaptor to the battery, the dc to ac converter to the adaptor, then the converter to the air pump. I've ran mine for about 11 hours till the battery went dead. Long enough for most power outages.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi wolverine121,

Great advice There's nothing like having a backup plan.

For those fellow computer geeks out there. If you have a spare UPS lying around, you can hook it up for your heater and pump. (Lights are too big of a power drain).

For those of you that aren't familiar with the term.
A UPS is an Uninterruptable Power Supply, used for computers. A UPS instantly switches to emergency battery backup power and allows your computer (or in this case aquarium)to work through brief power outages. High-performance surge suppression protects your equipment from electrical noise and damaging power surges - even lightning.

Depending on the on the size of the battery in the UPS and duration of the outtage, the UPS may only give you 30 minutes of power. However, that would be ample time to go get your foam cover.

The beauty of the UPS is that it is automatic, so even while you are out and the power goes off, it will automatically switch over to battery power and when the power comes back on go back to regular mode and charge the battery so that it is ready for next time.

Just a thought.

Old 02-15-2003, 05:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
Greetings.

I heard somewhere that there were some gel battery cells that lasted for 24 hours that can be used for computers, so they might be a good alternative also to the UPS.

Anyone else has heard of that type of battery?

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The power inverters can also be found at Radio Shack and at most truckstops. They work very well. Using the UPS is a great idea!
Logan J
Old 02-15-2003, 12:14 PM   #5

A good UPS that will run 1100 VA should run most equipment for at least an hour to 3 hours depending on the draw. They are only around $150.00. Not to mention better looking...I do not agree with the Marine battery method. especially if one were to leak out onto the carpet or whatever. Dangerous.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well, I'm thinking that the only good way to do that would be to have the battery and possibly the inverter outside with an extension cord coming in with the 110. Another option would be to have it in a marine battery box. Better to keep it outside though.
Logan J
Old 02-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I like Logan's idea. A deep cycle marine/rv battery and an inverter small enough for just an air pump and a heater should be less expensive. You can even use the battery out of your RV or boat if you have one.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster3043
Greetings.

I heard somewhere that there were some gel battery cells that lasted for 24 hours that can be used for computers, so they might be a good alternative also to the UPS.

Anyone else has heard of that type of battery?
Gel cell batteries would make a great backup because they are sealed so no chance of leaking, they generally are higher amp rated which means longer run times, and they require no maintenance other than charging. Drawbacks are that they are more expensive than flooded (acid filled) batteries, they require special chargers, and must be cycled properly. Cycled meaning being discharged completely before recharging or you see a greatly shorted life.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
Thanks.

Do you by any chance know of any links that sell them?

TIA

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.batterystuff.com/backup/power_backup.htm

Check this link out. Its a complete backup system. Price and availability link actually takes you to another website that directs you to call or email.
Experience I have with gel cell batteries come from working with them in industrial applications (I'm a material handling technician) ranging in voltage from 6 to 48 volts and from using them in my bass boat as trolling motor batteries which I purchased from Cabela's. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=category&rid=

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com