When the power goes out, be ready!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolverine121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well when the power goes out you still need heat and circulation for the tank. For the heat problem go buy foam insulation with at least a 5 rating so that it will save heat 5 times longer than without it. Cut the foam to the size of your tank and then duct tape the foam together. Now when the power goes out you can slip this over the tank and save the heat inside.

Now for the circulation, buy a marine battery (car battery will work but not as long), buy a dc to ac converter (you can find them on laptop websites), then buy a battery clip power adaptor (they sell them at auto part stores). Now when the power goes out you can hook up the power adaptor to the battery, the dc to ac converter to the adaptor, then the converter to the air pump. I've ran mine for about 11 hours till the battery went dead. Long enough for most power outages.

Hi wolverine121,

Great advice :!: There's nothing like having a backup plan.

For those fellow computer geeks out there. If you have a spare UPS lying around, you can hook it up for your heater and pump. (Lights are too big of a power drain).

For those of you that aren't familiar with the term.
A UPS is an Uninterruptable Power Supply, used for computers. A UPS instantly switches to emergency battery backup power and allows your computer (or in this case aquarium)to work through brief power outages. High-performance surge suppression protects your equipment from electrical noise and damaging power surges - even lightning.

Depending on the on the size of the battery in the UPS and duration of the outtage, the UPS may only give you 30 minutes of power. However, that would be ample time to go get your foam cover.

The beauty of the UPS is that it is automatic, so even while you are out and the power goes off, it will automatically switch over to battery power and when the power comes back on go back to regular mode and charge the battery so that it is ready for next time.

Just a thought.

Greetings.

I heard somewhere that there were some gel battery cells that lasted for 24 hours that can be used for computers, so they might be a good alternative also to the UPS.

Anyone else has heard of that type of battery?

The power inverters can also be found at Radio Shack and at most truckstops. They work very well. Using the UPS is a great idea!
Logan J

A good UPS that will run 1100 VA should run most equipment for at least an hour to 3 hours depending on the draw. They are only around $150.00. Not to mention better looking...I do not agree with the Marine battery method. especially if one were to leak out onto the carpet or whatever. Dangerous.

Well, I'm thinking that the only good way to do that would be to have the battery and possibly the inverter outside with an extension cord coming in with the 110. Another option would be to have it in a marine battery box. Better to keep it outside though.
Logan J

I like Logan's idea. A deep cycle marine/rv battery and an inverter small enough for just an air pump and a heater should be less expensive. You can even use the battery out of your RV or boat if you have one.

roadster3043 said:
Greetings.

I heard somewhere that there were some gel battery cells that lasted for 24 hours that can be used for computers, so they might be a good alternative also to the UPS.

Anyone else has heard of that type of battery?

Gel cell batteries would make a great backup because they are sealed so no chance of leaking, they generally are higher amp rated which means longer run times, and they require no maintenance other than charging. Drawbacks are that they are more expensive than flooded (acid filled) batteries, they require special chargers, and must be cycled properly. Cycled meaning being discharged completely before recharging or you see a greatly shorted life.

http://www.batterystuff.com/backup/power_backup.htm

Check this link out. Its a complete backup system. Price and availability link actually takes you to another website that directs you to call or email.
Experience I have with gel cell batteries come from working with them in industrial applications (I'm a material handling technician) ranging in voltage from 6 to 48 volts and from using them in my bass boat as trolling motor batteries which I purchased from Cabela's. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=9&parentId=cat21276&parentType=category&rid=

I like Logan's idea. A deep cycle marine/rv battery and an inverter small enough for just an air pump and a heater should be less expensive.

Isn't air in a tank not good for a reef system? Another thing, if an air pump is what you are wanting to run, why not just buy a decent battery powered air pump?

also, I don't understand :? , I priced Marine batteries and one that would power a good enough amper inverter, would run you close to $100.00. And then add on the battery charger for when the battery dies. Hmm seems a little around the bush for power in case of an outage. I would rather keep my complete system running rather than risk getting the air bubbles in there. ( seeing as when I bought an airstone and put it in my tank, I was told on this forum to get it out of there., that airstones had no place in a marine aquarium )...If I am not mistaken, that is what I was told. JMO believe me, I am one to try and save as much money as possible. and I just can't justify skimping on this. I won't even do it for my computer much less for something that lives. IMHO :p

True, I am an avid fishermen at the beach. One of my hobbies is catching bait, I do it for hours. I have about 10 air pumps, the best one gets 100 hours on two D batterys. 2 D batteries compared to 20 bucks for 11 hours. You can buy them at most sports stores. Save your money!

Back
Top Bottom