Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSloth93 View Post
My LFS of course. I even worked there and they told me that starting at age 16 I left a year later but still love to go in. Yeah. I suppose the goes to show cross check your sources. So I suppose 60-65lbs shall do. Also. Are my only choices the white pool sand for cheap, what colors can I pick from and of none where may I go to get cheap sand that's say, tan, or brown, or black. I'd like the substrate to be darkest of possible for the fishes sake. Thanks guys
I have a cichlid tank with white silica sand and the cichlids l absolutely love digging in it. Pool filter sand is a natural light brown color and would also be a great choice. I would however advise against the black blasting sand. It's a terrible sand where digging fish are concerned.

If you're worried about detrius just add another filter to the tank. With a little fiddling and enough flow your filters should kick up all the fish poo allowing it to be sucked up in the filter. That's exactly how my white sand tank works out and the sand is always sparkling.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I have a cichlid tank with white silica sand and the cichlids l absolutely love digging in it. Pool filter sand is a natural light brown color and would also be a great choice. I would however advise against the black blasting sand. It's a terrible sand where digging fish are concerned.

If you're worried about detrius just add another filter to the tank. With a little fiddling and enough flow your filters should kick up all the fish poo allowing it to be sucked up in the filter. That's exactly how my white sand tank works out and the sand is always sparkling.
Pool filter sand is not always a brown color. I have some that is white with black flecks in it.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well I'm going to run to my.. LPS. (Local pool store) hope that catches on. Lol
But yeah Friday I'll make a trip there and check it out. Any recommended way of cleaning it. The tanks already set up so I'd have to move the fish into a cooler with a pump and decor for a hr or so while I switch out the gravel.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
come get me tang police!

Pea gravel at home depot is a great consistency. I have some on the left side of this tank and graduate to larger sizes as it goes to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1111.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	210653  
Old 12-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok cool. I am not sure which to go with. either way. How would I clean the sand before putting it in.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I'm doing a lot I will put it in buckets first and stick the hose down in there.. Let it run until it runs clear.. And you can fine comb it by placing sand in a t-shirt and running water through it until it runs clear.. I use quickcrete playsand, it comes strained and is usually fairly easy to clean..
Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOscar View Post
If I'm doing a lot I will put it in buckets first and stick the hose down in there.. Let it run until it runs clear.. And you can fine comb it by placing sand in a t-shirt and running water through it until it runs clear.. I use quickcrete playsand, it comes strained and is usually fairly easy to clean..
I also find using a pillow case works great instead of a tshirt. It takes a little time but once done right life is easy
Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

If it's pool filter sand you don't need to worry about cleaning it. It's already clean so it can be used in a pool's filter...

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would still rinse it out.. I wash everything going in my tanks .. Regardless
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOscar View Post
I would still rinse it out.. I wash everything going in my tanks .. Regardless
Which is fine, but for the sake of the OP, it is an unnecessary step to take. If he uses play sand or anything else, then yes, I would recommend washing it until the cows come home but PFS has such a minimal amount of dust due to the fact of it being made for filters. At most, put it in the tank, fill the tank part way, swish it around with your hand, drain the tank, and done.

I'm giving him a very easy option and at the same time educating him on why it's such an easy option.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com