Where can i find gravel like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBlackSloth93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went to a LFS today and I need to get gravel if this size for my cichlids to dig. The gravel I bought at lowes is really cheep. But also really big. The LFS charges 18.99 for a 25 lb bag. I have a 55gal tank and would like to put in 100lbs. That's way to expensive just for some rocks. Does anyone know of any stores that sell gravel of this size for cheep.
Thanks.
image-2002661766.jpg

I used 2 -50 pound bags of pool filter sand and it cost me $24 from a pool and spa supply store. My cichlids loved the sand and I think it looks better than gravel. Much cleaner too

+1 on sand. Since I went sand I would never I back to gravel. It is a little more labour intensive to setup but once it makes cleaning and maintenance much easier

Next time you're at a hardware store look at pea gravel or blasting sand. Pool filter sand is also a good choice. I have it in a few of my tanks. I also have a mix of pea gravel and sand in a few.

I love sand. BUT the issue is how dirty the sand gets very quickly. I'd go to sand in a heartbeat. Problem is I can see every little speck of dirt and poop on it.

I love sand. BUT the issue is how dirty the sand gets very quickly. I'd go to sand in a heartbeat. Problem is I can see every little speck of dirt and poop on it.

And you can also vaccuum every speck of poop up when it's maintenance time. Take the fat plastic tube off the end of your syphon and just hold the hose 1/2" above the sand to vaccuum it.

Sand is better. For fish that dig especially, it's better. Don't put too much. 1.5" to 2" is PLENTY.

Pool filter sand works great. Any pool supply store will have some. 50 pounds $10-15.

How many pounds of sand should I use. I know for gravel it's generally 1-2 lbs per gallon. Same rule of thumb? Also do they have darker sand or just pure white.

How many pounds of sand should I use. I know for gravel it's generally 1-2 lbs per gallon. Same rule of thumb? Also do they have darker sand or just pure white.

I don't know where you heard that but it's not 1-2lbs per gallon. It's enough to make a 1.5-2" deep bed. However much that is.

My LFS of course. I even worked there and they told me that starting at age 16 I left a year later but still love to go in. Yeah. I suppose the goes to show cross check your sources. So I suppose 60-65lbs shall do. Also. Are my only choices the white pool sand for cheap, what colors can I pick from and of none where may I go to get cheap sand that's say, tan, or brown, or black. I'd like the substrate to be darkest of possible for the fishes sake. Thanks guys

My LFS of course. I even worked there and they told me that starting at age 16 I left a year later but still love to go in. Yeah. I suppose the goes to show cross check your sources. So I suppose 60-65lbs shall do. Also. Are my only choices the white pool sand for cheap, what colors can I pick from and of none where may I go to get cheap sand that's say, tan, or brown, or black. I'd like the substrate to be darkest of possible for the fishes sake. Thanks guys

I have a cichlid tank with white silica sand and the cichlids l absolutely love digging in it. Pool filter sand is a natural light brown color and would also be a great choice. I would however advise against the black blasting sand. It's a terrible sand where digging fish are concerned.

If you're worried about detrius just add another filter to the tank. With a little fiddling and enough flow your filters should kick up all the fish poo allowing it to be sucked up in the filter. That's exactly how my white sand tank works out and the sand is always sparkling.

I have a cichlid tank with white silica sand and the cichlids l absolutely love digging in it. Pool filter sand is a natural light brown color and would also be a great choice. I would however advise against the black blasting sand. It's a terrible sand where digging fish are concerned.

If you're worried about detrius just add another filter to the tank. With a little fiddling and enough flow your filters should kick up all the fish poo allowing it to be sucked up in the filter. That's exactly how my white sand tank works out and the sand is always sparkling.

Pool filter sand is not always a brown color. I have some that is white with black flecks in it.

Well I'm going to run to my.. LPS. (Local pool store) hope that catches on. Lol
But yeah Friday I'll make a trip there and check it out. Any recommended way of cleaning it. The tanks already set up so I'd have to move the fish into a cooler with a pump and decor for a hr or so while I switch out the gravel.

Ok cool. I am not sure which to go with. either way. How would I clean the sand before putting it in.

If I'm doing a lot I will put it in buckets first and stick the hose down in there.. Let it run until it runs clear.. And you can fine comb it by placing sand in a t-shirt and running water through it until it runs clear.. I use quickcrete playsand, it comes strained and is usually fairly easy to clean..

If I'm doing a lot I will put it in buckets first and stick the hose down in there.. Let it run until it runs clear.. And you can fine comb it by placing sand in a t-shirt and running water through it until it runs clear.. I use quickcrete playsand, it comes strained and is usually fairly easy to clean..
I also find using a pillow case works great instead of a tshirt. It takes a little time but once done right life is easy

I would still rinse it out.. I wash everything going in my tanks .. Regardless

I would still rinse it out.. I wash everything going in my tanks .. Regardless

Which is fine, but for the sake of the OP, it is an unnecessary step to take. If he uses play sand or anything else, then yes, I would recommend washing it until the cows come home but PFS has such a minimal amount of dust due to the fact of it being made for filters. At most, put it in the tank, fill the tank part way, swish it around with your hand, drain the tank, and done.

I'm giving him a very easy option and at the same time educating him on why it's such an easy option.

Back
Top Bottom