Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Where to buy LARGE foam blocks for DIY background.

I can't seem to find any that will let me order less then 250 bucks worth.

I'm looking for a place I can get a 48" L x 20" H x 5" T Block of styrafoam.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
CompMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
from what Ive seen on these projects if the DIYer couldn't find the thick stuff for cheap they just glued layers of thiner material together.. HTH

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
I believe many of them go to Home Depot/Lowes and look in the insulation section. That will be your best bet. The "thick" styrofam is used most often in insulating large volume refrigerators etc, if that might help you find a supplier...

and as green said, if you can't find thick stuff, gluing multiple thin sheets together can work, just be careful of what you use as you don't want the "glue" to be something hard that will prevent you from carving what you want as you cross between the layers.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
I found it easiest to roughly carve layers then glue them together and finish carving. I used five 2inch styro layers for a nano paludarium, and siliconed them together. Billy is right: if you have silicone or glue behind the areas you want to carve it becomes a PITA. With such a long tank you want it in sections anyway, as it will be easier to get the background in there with the trim and braces and such.
"2- before attempting to plant, have a beer or a Bourbon. That will help to steady your hands…" -- elwaine

czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

background, diy, foam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com