Where to buy LARGE foam blocks for DIY background.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't seem to find any that will let me order less then 250 bucks worth.

I'm looking for a place I can get a 48" L x 20" H x 5" T Block of styrafoam.

Thanks.

from what Ive seen on these projects if the DIYer couldn't find the thick stuff for cheap they just glued layers of thiner material together.. HTH

I believe many of them go to Home Depot/Lowes and look in the insulation section. That will be your best bet. The "thick" styrofam is used most often in insulating large volume refrigerators etc, if that might help you find a supplier...

and as green said, if you can't find thick stuff, gluing multiple thin sheets together can work, just be careful of what you use as you don't want the "glue" to be something hard that will prevent you from carving what you want as you cross between the layers.

I found it easiest to roughly carve layers then glue them together and finish carving. I used five 2inch styro layers for a nano paludarium, and siliconed them together. Billy is right: if you have silicone or glue behind the areas you want to carve it becomes a PITA. With such a long tank you want it in sections anyway, as it will be easier to get the background in there with the trim and braces and such.

Back
Top Bottom