Where to drill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrfreinds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so i got my 115 gal tank half full as ive been working on the stand and drilling a larger hole for the sump.

So im enlarging the hole from 1" to 1 1/2" and I need help on deciding where to place the new hole. The old one is one the side in the middle and its chipped and cant be enlarged. So im thinking of closing that off and placing the new one on the bottom. Sounds good?

You should put it on the top. That way you're taking off the top layer only, which gets the film buildup. Also, if something goes wrong with your pump, your whole tank isn't going to drain down. The point is that your sump pumps back into the main tank, and only the volume of water that is pumped up is displaced back down to the sump. If you put the hole at the bottom, it will drain the whole tank and if the sump pump can't keep up, you're screwed.

If you put the hole at the bottom, it will drain the whole tank and if the sump pump can't keep up, you're screwed.
you can limit that with a standpipe...

The old one is one the side in the middle and its chipped and cant be enlarged.
you could clamp a piece of wood to the side and give yourself a new centerpoint for the holesaw

fishrfreinds said:
i forgot say im drilling in the overflow

Oh! That makes a world of difference. Yes, drill the bottom so you don't get any water that can stand for extended periods of time.

DOH!!!

How bad are the chips??? could you dremmel it bigger

It looks like the pervious owner filed the hole down. so its not worth the trouble I'll double pane seal it. im just going to drill it on the bottom.

Anyone done this before?

Back
Top Bottom