Where to place the hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badfishofbabylon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking in to building my own glass aquarium soon as a side porject.
I want it to be a 24x24x18 3/8" rimless starphire with an overflow and sump. When i order the glass I'm going to have them drill it for me but I'm not sure if I would have them drill the holes in the base or the back panel. I'm not sure since i want it to be rimless if one will weaken the tank more than the other. Any Suggestions?

If you drill through the bottom, you'll have to make corresponding holes in the stand. If you drill through the side, you'll have to keep the tank further from the wall. You should be using glass with a sufficient factor of safety that drilling it won't compromise the structure.

Personally, I'd drill through the bottom. It's easier to hide.

If I do drill it on the bottom, how far away from the edge ago I drill it. About 2" is what I guessing

How think is the glass you're going to use? How large do you need the holes?

You need to leave yourself some room to work with whatever plumbing fittings you're going to use.

I am using 3/8 and and am making it rimless, I planned on using 1" bulkheads 2 of them. It's going to be about 50 gal, I'm not 100% on the bulkhead size though

I know that a 1" bulkhead needs an 1 3/4" hole, I am just not sure if 1" bulkhead is the right size for a 50 gal

Back
Top Bottom