Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to flipz
where to purchase acrylic or glass?

Hey all. I have a quick question. I am planning on building a new tank for my ball python. I know this isn't the right website but hey, it's the DIY forum so the same rules apply.

Anyways I was just wondering where I would be able to purchase custom-cut pieces of glass or acrylic? I don't have the tools to do it myself, and I'm not sure what type of stores I should be looking for. Can Lowes/Home Depot do it?

I am only planning on building something that's equivalent to maybe a 20 gal long or maybe a 30 gal. Would it be cheaper to just go buy a tank?

Thanks in advance,

Come join the Ohio forum on AA!
flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i am fairly sure hd/lowes can't help you, try checking your yellowpages, for a glass shop or glass supply, or a plastics distributor (asking if they stock acrylic, most do) and call them up and ask to get a price on your dimensions, and make sure you tell the person you need them to cut it for you, there will be an additional charge for that.

or try a hardware store (unknown to most, hd and/or lowes are not hardware stores) 1 out of 3 of my local hardware stores can and will cut custom glass panes for you. their selection (in width) is highly limited, but if you are willing to compromise on width you shouldn't have any problems.

JProx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

My local HD stock cut glass (and acrylics) of various sizes, if you can compromise on the exact size of the finished tank, you can use that. However, the best place to get glass is a windows/glass shop. Almost all will do custom sizes - for a price!

I would however, go premade if a stock size suits your need. I've priced out glass locally & it is about twice as much for DIY compared to ready made. And acrylic is about 4 to 5 times more than glass!
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to jacktheknife
have you asked your lfs? mine recommended a place when i was making my glass hood
"You ask me why I dwell in the green mountain;
I smile and make no reply for my heart is free of care.
As the peach blossom which flows downstream and is gone into the unknown,
I have a world apart that is not among men."

-Li Po
jacktheknife is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com