White husk coconut for diy caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came across this white husk coconut the other day. I've never seen em before. I made some coconut caves a couple weeks ago that I boiled for days, trying to get the tanins out. I think I burned them if that's possible, lol they sure looked black for a while! Anyways, anyone ever se the white ones for caves? Wondering if I need to boil forever?

Attachments

• image-1879170157.jpg
    image-1879170157.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 120
Hi there. I just bought a white coconut yesterday and I thought I would boil it just to be sure. And the answer is YES! You wouldn't believe the amount of color came out of this thing! I have never used the brown ones so I can't compare but just to let you know it was white when I started but after boiling it it is no longer white.

You said you used them before. What did you use to cut the entrance?

Attachments

• image-3718901133.jpg
    image-3718901133.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 101
Oh wow! I was hoping it would stay white! Thanks for sharing! Well our first attemp at cutting didn't go as smooth as yours lol. I think I let them sit too long before boiling and cutting, so I just have several pieces of the coconut shell. I didn't do entrances. Some just look like a bridge and my feather fin catfish loves it! Look how black they were after boiling! My famille says I burn everything lol guess so! I will try again for 2 perfect halves. Let me know how you cut entrance,

Attachments

• image-1943284553.jpg
    image-1943284553.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2836530293.jpg
    image-2836530293.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 107
Well I have a dremel tool that would have worked great for cutting entrances but figures it's packed away and I couldn't find it. What I ended up doing was cutting it with a small pair of wire cutters. Wasn't the most perfect tool to use but it got the job done. I just took little pieces off at a time because I was afraid I would crack it right in half. I will try to remember to put a couple pics up tomorrow.

Bobby2727 said:
Very cool idea looks good

Thanks! I can't take the credit. I decided to do it after seeing others. Figured it would give my kribensis another option for a cave and maybe they will finally start spawning.

heathers_hounds said:
Looks great! I left the hairy part on mine. Thanks for sharing! I like the look of yours

I was gonna leave it on mine but after boiling it there was a part of it that was soggy I guess is the best way to put it so I just scraped everything off

Back
Top Bottom