who thinks this will work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok here it is i decided to throw away my first diy overflow halfway through and make a pipe version instead to many leaks the other way i know i may need to shorten the two center pipes but what do you guys think wil this work i cant try it yet cause i have no pvc pipe glue ahh!! so i cant try it yet wat do you think should it work?
18258-albums239-picture1505.jpg

If I knew what your were talking about, then I could let you know.

You dont mention what your are trying to build/accomplish, so I'm lost.

So far all I see is a pic of pvc pipe and you asking if it will work. Work for what?

Last edited:
lol they are expensive when i have to pay for college , gas, phone bill, and then on top of all that my hours get cut at work to three days a week 8 hours a day for only 7.40 a hour

I don't recommend attempting any of those DIY overflow set ups. They are a potential disaster waiting to happen.
But....lol, if you really want to see some, check out this DIY overflow thread from RC.

Ebay or craigslist! You can probably find one for next to nothing. I have to agree, the DIY overflows are very tricky. The pipe idea might work but I don't think I would chance it.

Check with some local clubs and see if someone has one they will sell you cheap. Heck most of us have one stuck in a closet somewhere. If you were closer I'd give you one of mine.

This will work in principle as an overflow, but I see a couple problems:

You have very little "head pressure" driving the siphon. Your outflow (the T) is 1" or so higher than your tank intake. The siphon will only work when your tank water level is higher than that & it doesn't look like there is much room above to drive the water. A low head pressure equals slow flow & air tend to accumulate & break the siphon. <At 700gph, I have to reduce my siphon cross section area to 1 sq in so the flow is high enough for bubbles not to accumulate .... and the head pressure (water level difference between my overflow boxes) is close to 3". I tried decreasing that by adding a 2nd siphon tube & got air.>

Opaque siphon section means you won't be able to see if you have an established siphon or if air is accumulating.

There were several threads here about DIY pipe overflow (try searching the archive). As I recall the result was mixed. That's why I opted for the traditional 2 box & siphon setup. <you can find one at Dr Froster & Smith for $30 or 40 on sale.>

Back
Top Bottom