will this DIY sponge filter work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put this together using an air pump, and extra lift tube I had, some rubber bands and this extra sheet of filter media I had on hand.

image-1615451782.jpg

This is the media which I essentially just rolled up into a cylinder shape around the lift tube. So will this 60 sec set up work? Or are there design flaws?
image-2243112409.jpg

I cant really tell whether it would or not because i would need directions on how to make it to see the inside. If its an air stone stuck in the lift tube with the pad wrapped tightly around the tube it would work. If that is what you did, its good.

Link119 said:
I cant really tell whether it would or not because i would need directions on how to make it to see the inside. If its an air stone stuck in the lift tube with the pad wrapped tightly around the tube it would work. If that is what you did, its good.

No airstone in the lift tube currently- just the airline shoved in lift tube about a 1/2" from the bottom and pad wrapped tightly around lift tube. if all it needs is an small airstone to work that's great! Just made this thing for fun -- glad to know its almost operable as is.

If it's set up how I think then there are design flaws, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work to some extent. It looks like water would likely only be drawn in from the bottom section of the filter material, so you ideally want it all to slide into another larger tube such that water is pulled through the full height of the filter material.

Link119 said:
You can make a better water bottle design.

How would that work? Any links u can provide would be great.

phreeky said:
If it's set up how I think then there are design flaws, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work to some extent. It looks like water would likely only be drawn in from the bottom section of the filter material, so you ideally want it all to slide into another larger tube such that water is pulled through the full height of the filter material.

Do you have an example u can show me? Not quite following the sliding it into a larger tube part. Would punching holes in the part of lift tube that is in the sponge accomplish the goal of drawing water in from full height of the filter media?

Here is my design...

Attachments

• 120405-133035.jpg
    120405-133035.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 415
Im not using it, just a plan i thought of in case i need one.

The original design in the first photo will not work. There is nothing to cause water to pass through the media. For that design to work the bottom of the lift tube would need to be plugged and holes drilled in the sides so water would have to pass through the media to get to the lift tube. So, the basic idea is ok but needs to be modified to work. The bottle design, is basically a box filter, and will also work.

Back
Top Bottom