Will this idea work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude3233

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is the plan 11 tanks to one sump I have seenu it done before however I need done help on the plumbing I need to filter apx. 2600 gph and I need to know if I can use two 1,300 gph pumps? Also I need to know what size bulkheads to put in each aquarium to get the 2600 gph to the sump. Any other advise will be greatly welcomed

I believe if you look at the bulkheads on bulk reef supply.com there is a chart but I'm not positive I'm sure there is a chart on google

It's a very complicated system where a ton of things can go wrong.

The most failproof way of doing it is to drill each tank and have separate drain lines from each tank running to the main one. Another easier option is to have them all running into a central drain line that goes into the sump.

Next you will have to hook up the water pump giving each tank its own valve so you can specifically tune the water flow for each tank.

Keep in mind that if any single drain line gets plugged it will empty your sump onto the floor so a baffle box with a strainer + sponge would be your best bet.

Aside from mechanical issues, if one tank gets sick they all do and treating a dozen tanks all at once is really really expensive.

I was considering doing something very similar for a Guppy breeding operation I was co spidering.

Continuing Mebbid's design, you could add a second bulkhead fitting and drain line to each tank in case the first drain clogs. However, we just went from 22 to 33 total lines/pipes.
To reducing the plumbing and depending on the tank stand design, you could also arrange the tanks so that they are above each other (say 3 deep) so that the output of the drains from the tank above feeds the tank below.

Yah I had the idea of stacking the tank one atop another so my idea was each tank drains down to the next one and the bottom tanks all drain down to the sump through a "gutter" if you will.
Then the pump pumps the water back up to the top tanks. One quest what sized bulkheads and PVC piping should I use? I do not want to much water going to the sump cuzz then the sump will over flow. However I don't want not enough water because ten the pump will burn out cuzz it is boy submerged. Are both those statements correct it is my first time working with a sump??

Well, if you were planning on stacking the tank you are looking at maybe stacking 3 tanks atop each other at most to still allow you work space inside them. It would work but even then It would be a very good idea to do 2 drain lines on each tank.

You are going to want a very large sump. I would say 20%-30% the total system volume. Your sump will need to be able to handle the back flow when the pump is shut off which could amount to a lot.

What is this going to be for?

It is for my breeding the total setup will be about 477 gallons so what sized sump would you suggest and what size PVC? Also what gph pump should I use thx for dealing with all my questions. :)

Try this link for the overflow size
.::AquariumPros.ca::. - Overflow and Drain Calculator

I have no idea about what pump I'd suggest for a system that size.

I would like to point out - What happens if there is a bacterial outbreak in a single tank? It could potentially wipe out every fish in the system.

It's a much more stable system to run airlines to sponge filters in each tank. You can then heat the room to whatever temperature the fish prefer. It is also way way way cheaper to do this.

Water changes are more difficult but in fry tanks the detritus needs to be siphoned out daily anyways.

Certainly, sponge filters are amazing at biological filtration and they come in sizes rated for tanks up to 100 gallons or more.

What fish are you going to breed?

Back
Top Bottom