Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will this idea work

Here is the plan 11 tanks to one sump I have seenu it done before however I need done help on the plumbing I need to filter apx. 2600 gph and I need to know if I can use two 1,300 gph pumps? Also I need to know what size bulkheads to put in each aquarium to get the 2600 gph to the sump. Any other advise will be greatly welcomed

Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone want to share some ideas

Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Someone please help
Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe if you look at the bulkheads on bulk reef supply.com there is a chart but I'm not positive I'm sure there is a chart on google
Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok any

One else want to say something I don't want to flood my house
Old 08-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's a very complicated system where a ton of things can go wrong.

The most failproof way of doing it is to drill each tank and have separate drain lines from each tank running to the main one. Another easier option is to have them all running into a central drain line that goes into the sump.

Next you will have to hook up the water pump giving each tank its own valve so you can specifically tune the water flow for each tank.

Keep in mind that if any single drain line gets plugged it will empty your sump onto the floor so a baffle box with a strainer + sponge would be your best bet.

Aside from mechanical issues, if one tank gets sick they all do and treating a dozen tanks all at once is really really expensive.

I was considering doing something very similar for a Guppy breeding operation I was co spidering.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Continuing Mebbid's design, you could add a second bulkhead fitting and drain line to each tank in case the first drain clogs. However, we just went from 22 to 33 total lines/pipes.
To reducing the plumbing and depending on the tank stand design, you could also arrange the tanks so that they are above each other (say 3 deep) so that the output of the drains from the tank above feeds the tank below.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah I had the idea of stacking the tank one atop another so my idea was each tank drains down to the next one and the bottom tanks all drain down to the sump through a "gutter" if you will.
Then the pump pumps the water back up to the top tanks. One quest what sized bulkheads and PVC piping should I use? I do not want to much water going to the sump cuzz then the sump will over flow. However I don't want not enough water because ten the pump will burn out cuzz it is boy submerged. Are both those statements correct it is my first time working with a sump??
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, if you were planning on stacking the tank you are looking at maybe stacking 3 tanks atop each other at most to still allow you work space inside them. It would work but even then It would be a very good idea to do 2 drain lines on each tank.

You are going to want a very large sump. I would say 20%-30% the total system volume. Your sump will need to be able to handle the back flow when the pump is shut off which could amount to a lot.

What is this going to be for?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is for my breeding the total setup will be about 477 gallons so what sized sump would you suggest and what size PVC? Also what gph pump should I use thx for dealing with all my questions.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com