Will this over flow work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Biggs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I variated from the design I found online because I didn't buy the right fittings. But I think this will work once I suck the air out of the hump. Would like to use 1 inch all over though so if it won't..no biggy. Not glued yet anyways.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110630_224148.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_224148.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 169
  • ForumRunner_20110630_224206.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_224206.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 168
crap! sent from my droid.. dont know why its side ways.. lol

here we go

Attachments

• over flow 1.jpg
    over flow 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 149
  • over flow 2.jpg
    over flow 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 191
Hope you get some postive replies so I can copy your design, if you dont mind. Where did you get it from?

DIY Overflow 101 - The Mysteries Explained

the second diagram..but like i said i had to change it a bit.

the down tube will go into the lower tank, but into the bottom of a hi-c jug filled with K1. the as the jug fills up it will come out the top (which is above the sump tanks water line) then the sump will be full of plants, filter the nitrates and pump it back to the top. trying to get most of the filtration into the bottom tank. want to make less current and it more "pond like" in the display tank. put the suction at the bottom of the display tank to help bring the oxygen down there.

Looks very good, I still don't understand the whole over-flow concept. Is this only if you are using a sump that is pumping water into tank ? I read if a power outage water can overflow onto the floor, but is this for any tank or only if you are using a sump ? I"m using a canister filter, so if I just pull the plug to simulate power outage will there be a noah's flood in my living room ?

The pump pumps the water back from the bottom tank, but the reason for a over flow like this is so that if a power outage does occur, the siphon on the over flow will restart itself . If you just had a waterfall style setup that would work to. Anything that will keep the level in the display tank below the edge of the aquarium.

My reason for a overflow is so that I can have a separate tank for plants that the fish won't destroy. And leave the light on most of the time in. But the plants can still filter the nitrate from the fish tank because they are connected.

Back
Top Bottom