Wiring Metal Halide Ballast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
okie ...

I received my ballast, cap and socket today, and I'm wonderin how ya'll wire this up

the ballast is a 4 tap multi-purpose (advance 71A5790), there are 7 wires, labeled as such:

120V
208V
240V
277V
COM
COM
CAP

The capacitor has two wires, both unlabeled

the diagram shows the capacitor being wired between the CAP lead from the ballast and the lamp socket ... and then the other lead from the socket wired to a COM lead on the ballast ... the socket itself has white and black leads ... I'm assuming the black lead is what connects to the capacitor?

?> I assume that I wire my incoming HOT to the 120V lead, and incoming NEUTRAL to the COM lead ...

?> do the two COM leads need to be wired together or what?

?> can I leave the capacitor in with the ballast or does it need to be closer to the bulb

?> any problem with using 10ft of cord between the ballast and the light?

?> the extra voltage taps, do I just cap them off with tape, or do they need something special done to them?

thanks!

ballast_box_complete.jpg

Here's a preview of how the completed ballast enclosure looks ... I still have to build an enclosure for the bulb, hopefully this weekend!

I'll answer these as best I can...don't take these replies as gospel though.

glmclell said:
okie ...

?> I assume that I wire my incoming HOT to the 120V lead, and incoming NEUTRAL to the COM lead ...
Yes.

?> do the two COM leads need to be wired together or what
I wouldn't think so. If they need to be together, I think they'll be joined inside the ballast.

?> can I leave the capacitor in with the ballast or does it need to be closer to the bulb
AFAIK, you can put the capacitor anywhere you want. Most of the MH ballasts I have seen wired up have the capacitor next to the ballast.

?> any problem with using 10ft of cord between the ballast and the light?
Shouldn't be according to what I have read...no personal experience with that though.

?> the extra voltage taps, do I just cap them off with tape, or do they need something special done to them?
I would put a wire nut on them and tape over that.
Hope this helps some and you don't blow yourself up 8O .

it works!

and kudos to reefgeek and UPS - the bulb arrived a day early :)

looking at the actual arc chamber, you can tell it's VERY bright, but in a room lit with even cloudy sunlight, the light it throws still only casts pale shadows

I guess that big 'ol Sun of ours is hard to beat :)

It's givin some lovin to my basil plant right now, with the socket bracket screwed to a 2x4 ... I'll build it some sort of reflector / enclosure this weekend, since no one 'round here has a suitable metal wastepaper basket I can use.

with the ballast inside that plastic toolbox, I though there might be a heat problem, but it appears the fan has taken care of that - and it appears to be total silent, no noticeable hum, even the fan is very quiet.

I'll be doing up a webpage on this project soon, and will share some more pics with y'all.

Back
Top Bottom