Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nreal

Whoa, 2 days of boiling is a 100 better way to go than 2-8 weeks of soaking- and this really pulls out the tannins? Well, just got my weekend project! Thanks!
Yeah, I noticed that the water was alot darker if i boiled it. When I left it to soak over night ( it wasn't boiling) the water was not as dark as when I boiled it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So I have been boiling a few kinds of wood (that sounds so odd out of context) for days, I have previously been soaking them for weeks. Still, they create tea colored water. I hate tannins like I hate a bad silicone seal. For those of you that have boiled wood, or just left it in a bucket, does it ever stop or are some woods always going to make tea? I am wondering if the wood may be rotting, and that is causing the discoloration, as pieces are always coming off...Help!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nreal
So I have been boiling a few kinds of wood (that sounds so odd out of context) for days, I have previously been soaking them for weeks. Still, they create tea colored water. I hate tannins like I hate a bad silicone seal. For those of you that have boiled wood, or just left it in a bucket, does it ever stop or are some woods always going to make tea? I am wondering if the wood may be rotting, and that is causing the discoloration, as pieces are always coming off...Help!
Mine stopped releasing tannins after I boiled it for 2 days. It's probably not a good sign if the wood is falling apart.

So funny about how that sounds out of context. My 5 year old kept asking what I was cooking for dinner and I'd say "wood and rocks!". He was so sad and would say "but I don't like wood and rocks for dinner!"
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #14

It's really odd though. I have already used one driftwood mounted on slate in a previous tank, no issues. Because it was in a previous saltwater tank I thought to wash it well, and it actually started to turn the water into darker tea color! Why? No idea- makes no sense. My luck! More boiling!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #15

Forgot to mention how cute that sounds "but I don't like wood and rocks" I read it to my fiancÚ and we laughed.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been boiling mine for 3 days, still leaching TONS of tannins :/
Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
I've been boiling mine for 3 days, still leaching TONS of tannins :/
Just keep it up I guess. I wish I could tell you why it's leeching so many tannins still. Are you changing the water alot? I'd boil mine about 10 mins and then dump out the water, bring it back to a boil and boil it 10 mins.... Over and over again.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

Just keep it up I guess. I wish I could tell you why it's leeching so many tannins still. Are you changing the water alot? I'd boil mine about 10 mins and then dump out the water, bring it back to a boil and boil it 10 mins.... Over and over again.
I have been boiling till about 1/3 of the water evaporates then dump and start all over again! Then at night I soak it overnight... I'm just gonna keep cookin that sucka!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

That could be the issue- I'm doing it every few hours but regardless, the longer you boil the darker it gets so it can only reabsorb a tiny amount, as it has looked like dark tea one time I was preoccupied and let it go for 6 hours- I know the fibers open and the process, it must be the type of or condition of the wood...I'm throwing the one that sometimes breaks off small pieces. It feels as driftwoody as they come but my guess is ? Honestly I need to keep asking for personal results. This tank has been my passion and too many nieces and nephews want a beautiful aquarium to mesmerize them so out with the old wood, and in with the well, more old wood. I need a rotting meter. No characteristics of such sans a little break off now and again but all good things take time!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #20

I own cabins up by lake michigan, and those driftwood pieces are free. Naturally I start a project that needs what I cannot get because of the time started!
I need less tea. Oh well there is a reason, if none found it gets tossed in the junk-

Tags
tan, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com