Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should monitor your parameters for the first few weeks. What size tank and dw is it?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

The higher the pH usually the harder the water. The harder the water the less the effect of the tannins. I have wood in all my tanks. I have a pH of 7.6 from the tap and all my tanks (except the ones with play sand that sit at 8 ). The wood doesn't effect it at all. I don't presoak any wood anymore. The tanks turn a tea color between water changes and have no drop in pH. I'm sure if there was a huge amount it would change but I'm yet to see it.
Cool its not a huge piece so I'm hoping there is no effect, plus I'm pretty sure our water is hard

Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak
You should monitor your parameters for the first few weeks. What size tank and dw is it?
55 gallon
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
I just have cichlid stones and some fake plants now, I ordered some "tiger stripe" rocks from eBay that I'm expecting any day now and I'm switching to blasting sand soon.
I never thought of blasting sand- I'm still at the "what substrate to use, and what color" I thought of going with a black -can't remember the manufacturer- round gravel with "paths" of white sand looping around would look stunning. I'm aquaticscaping novice #1 but a forest scene with pathways and ancient trees with moss hanging is my goal. The issues come in when i need to hear personal experiance. Research often leads to definitions, so listening to personal experience and ideas is priceless. Sorry to babble- just think blasting sand is a great idea- a very fine sand would also (I assume) be preferred by the CRS I will be devoting a 10gal to. Just need to get my aquariums stabilized and take a break to add more funds!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nreal

I never thought of blasting sand- I'm still at the "what substrate to use, and what color" I thought of going with a black -can't remember the manufacturer- round gravel with "paths" of white sand looping around would look stunning. I'm aquaticscaping novice #1 but a forest scene with pathways and ancient trees with moss hanging is my goal. The issues come in when i need to hear personal experiance. Research often leads to definitions, so listening to personal experience and ideas is priceless. Sorry to babble- just think blasting sand is a great idea- a very fine sand would also (I assume) be preferred by the CRS I will be devoting a 10gal to. Just need to get my aquariums stabilized and take a break to add more funds!
The best part about blasting sand is the price! Can't beat it!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

The higher the pH usually the harder the water. The harder the water the less the effect of the tannins. I have wood in all my tanks. I have a pH of 7.6 from the tap and all my tanks (except the ones with play sand that sit at 8 ). The wood doesn't effect it at all. I don't presoak any wood anymore. The tanks turn a tea color between water changes and have no drop in pH. I'm sure if there was a huge amount it would change but I'm yet to see it.
I started the soaking thins as the stone was from my previous reef tank and wanted the salt to wash off. Granted a bit brackish will be ok yet I would prefer to control it over the residue from limestone and live rock. I just find it amazing that I see tannin from a piece of wood that was submerged for a year. But, it may be now I am using soft water, or honestly I can't find a reason it decided to expel tannins. I never read that carbon removes the tannin -in the aquarium- do you mean color or chemical, or both?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #37

Quote:

The best part about blasting sand is the price! Can't beat it!
Totally genius idea, really. Shhhhhhh or the aquarists will drive the price up! Supply and demand!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm not sweatin the color change... What about ph? Will dw mess with it? I'm keeping African cichlids, and from what I read they prefer a higher ph.
My pH was 8.2. Adding the driftwood lowered it to 8.0 so hardly any change. Watch for nitrite and ammonia spikes. I tested the driftwood water that I was soaking mine in waiting for it to sink and the ammo was 1.0 and trites were 2.0. After I put it in the tank the ammo was 0 but trites spiked from .25 to 2.0. My tank is still cycling though. Sounds like your tank is established but I would do a test after 12-24 hours of adding the driftwood just to make sure everything is peachy keen.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

55 gallon
You've got a nice big tank! I've only got a 5 gallon so the pH drop and nitrite spike could be due in part to the size of my tank.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did nothing with my tank yesterday. Shame on me!! I'll get back to doing the testing today and hopefully the trites will be down. If not I'll have to do a water change... Again... Fish-in cycling can be exhausting! LOL!

Tags
tan, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com