Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wood for tanks??

Does anyone know of any other wood you can place in an aquarium safely? Other than big wood or shop brought woods,

I was thinking as I live next to a woods/ Forrest whatever you call it, that I could just find some interesting shapes and collect them . But was worried that it might not be safe. Most of the trees in the woods are oak.

Any ideas ??????

Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Keep in mind I tend to over do. I would soak it in water & 10% bleach for a few weeks. Rinse it well. Soak it in water with declor,rinse let it air out put in a test tank with a fish. If all goes well for 3 or 4 weeks you should be ok. Maybe oak is just bad?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is othere types of wood, I just figured hardwood is better than soft wood?????
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just remember to boil the heck outta it to kill all the little nasties.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

You pretty much need a bogwood. Anything else is going to break down and dissolve in your tank over time. Mangrove and cypress are examples of a good bogwood. Mopani from Africa is what most lfs's sell, you just have to soak it for a few days/weeks to get all the tannins out. Most of your normal trees like oak or hickorywill soak up water, causing the fibers to swell up and split. When that happens the wood starts coming apart. Not good in an aquarium.

Search around creeks and streams and you may find some good pieces. just do as others have suggested and boil it, soak it in bleach and whatever else you have to do to kill any 'critters' living inside it.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Any dead wood will work. Hardwood will last longer. You don't want anything that is rotting or green. Stay away from evergreens because of the sap. Put it through the dishwasher to kill any bugs and fungus. I use collected wood in many of my tanks. Works well.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
Any dead wood will work. Hardwood will last longer. You don't want anything that is rotting or green. Stay away from evergreens because of the sap. Put it through the dishwasher to kill any bugs and fungus. I use collected wood in many of my tanks. Works well.
I have had issues like mad with this. Ebay has great looking wood, great descriptions and as I'm setting up my 55, decided to go with a "forest-ish" theme and bought a lot. Half of what I received was said to be driftwood- but rather a soft dry bunch of danger.. began the temper-tannin process and the next day it all had begun crumbling. Nonstop water changes revealed rotting foul wood, junked it. So, why is this such a perplexing problem and be careful- also bleach is right on. I bought this stuff from states in the south- great way to import new termites and the such hey? Good luck, I'm doing more research and any replies are a thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just recently acquired some driftwood that my husband found by the river. I boiled it for 2 days (not at night or if I left the house, but it took 2 days). Now that the water is clear I have it soaking so that it becomes saturated and sinks instead of floats. Once it sinks it's going into the aquarium. If it were me looking for wood I'd just go for walks by a stream/river/beach and see what I could find.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
I just recently acquired some driftwood that my husband found by the river. I boiled it for 2 days (not at night or if I left the house, but it took 2 days). Now that the water is clear I have it soaking so that it becomes saturated and sinks instead of floats. Once it sinks it's going into the aquarium. If it were me looking for wood I'd just go for walks by a stream/river/beach and see what I could find.
Whoa, 2 days of boiling is a 100 better way to go than 2-8 weeks of soaking- and this really pulls out the tannins? Well, just got my weekend project! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nreal View Post
Whoa, 2 days of boiling is a 100 better way to go than 2-8 weeks of soaking- and this really pulls out the tannins? Well, just got my weekend project! Thanks!

We boiled our mopani for 2-3 days, and it STILL leached a bit (not a ton, but enough for the water to look like very weak tea). I can't imagine how bad it would have been without the days of boiling.

Tags
tan, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com