Wood work consult please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am anxiously waiting to open my apex in a couple hours (my fiancé has kept it from me ughhh) and am trying to figure out the best way to mount the equipment under my tank.

I first want to know if it would be safe for me to install 2 boards then a sliding shelf under the tank?

My plan is to install 2 boards under the tank just outside of the 2 cross boards. If I install the 2 boards here it should line up very closely to having the shelf go right through the opening of the 2 center doors.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451033056.412906.jpg

On these newly installed boards I would have a sliding shelf track at an angle to avoid the top lip of the stand. My plan would then be to have the shelf pivot to rest at an angle or to hang straight down so I could access the equipment if I had to. Then once I'm done slide the shelf back into place.

This way I can have the apex safely installed under the stand and have all connections safe from water. The only worry would be the tank bottom leaking or cracking somehow. This also seems beneficial because it takes up space I'm not already using.

Any thoughts or tips?

Here's a really bad drawing. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451033400.565603.jpg

The other option I guess would be to have a drop shelf that doesn't slide at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do what you want to but it may take a little extra. No sure how heavy that unit is?? You could sister up the flat joist with vertical joists and hang some 3/4" plywood rips or poplar boards (3" wide). these would be adequate in supporting drawer glides (get good quality bearing glides). You need to add some angle bracing to keep the platform from swinging. Glue, predrill and screw everything. I'm a big fan of the star head, self tapping construction screws these days. Not sure as to your skill level or access to tools though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My experience level is probably close to Zero...but I won't do anything to jeopardize my tank! I have access to a couple different saws to cut wood and a drill.

I thank you for your advice and help. I'll have to look some of this stuff up and plan very carefully because of my lack of knowledge. I can see the end result in my head just gotta get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll be here;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom