Worried about Stained Stand/Canopy Fumes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doughboydj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I stained then put on poly to both my stand and canopy. Both still have a smell and was wondering how long I should wait till I set up the tank? Its been over a week and it still smells. Any suggestions or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve :?

i built a stand back in feburary, i poly'ed the frame, and it took about 3days for the smell to dissipate from my garage. then around march i skinned and stained it (with minwax's polyshade's) and after 4days of staining (roughly 2coats a day) it took about a solid business week (5days) for the smell to leave, around day number 4-5 i started leaving my garage door open.. not sure if it helped, but i believe it did.

i am not 100% sure but, the time it takes for the smell to leave, is dependent on how many coats were applied and what sort of stain it is. in my case polyshades is a stain and polyurthane finish in 1 can, so it should take a little longer to fully cure, then just plain old stain. hope this helps.

Depends also on what poly you used. I used regular oil based poly on a piece & it took several weeks for the smell to go away. The last thing I built I used ultra-fast drying poly by Minwax - meant for floors. The can says ready to recoat in 2 hrs & walk on in 24. That seemed to cure in a day or so & is smell free next day.

Best stuff I've used as far as smell goes is water based poly (by Behr) ... goes on clear, no smell whatsoever.

If it still has an odor cant you say that its still not done drying?

What are your enviormental conditions where the stand/canopy is drying?

I'm not sue what stain and poly it was. I had it taken to a carpenter to match my current furniture color. I figure its probably some professional stuff. if i put my nose up to it the smell is still there. do you think once the smell is not there physically its then safe to set up?

Its safe now. Unless of course you let it soak in the tank water.

If you have to get right up to it inorder to smell it and it does not feel wet or does not rub off when you put your fingers on it then it will be ok.

Thanks alot everyone for the suggestions. I'm not in a rush so I figure i'll give it another week just to be safe.

Thanks
Steve

Back
Top Bottom