would this be a sump or a fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
and would it work to filter my sw tank

yellow=plumbing
red= eggcrate with screen on top so sand doesnt sink to the bottom
dark brown= coarse sand
light brown= light sand
black lumps= LR
pink= chemi pure elite
green= micro algae. any ideas on what to use?
black box= powerhead
also my heater will be in this and it will have a light on top

Attachments

• sump or fuge.jpg
    sump or fuge.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 85
A sump and refugium can coexist. According to your diagram, you would be constructing a reverse-flow undergravel filter. I think you would be better served by having the overflow line empty either into a filter sock or a smaller separate chamber to dissipate the initial flow from the main system. Without the overflow line under the sandbed you then have a plenum. As for chemical filtration, you'd be better of using a reactor for active filtration, such as: Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150

For macro algaes, chaetomorpha and/or grape caulerpa.

A sump and refugium can coexist. According to your diagram, you would be constructing a reverse-flow undergravel filter. I think you would be better served by having the overflow line empty either into a filter sock or a smaller separate chamber to dissipate the initial flow from the main system. Without the overflow line under the sandbed you then have a plenum. As for chemical filtration, you'd be better of using a reactor for active filtration, such as: Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150

For macro algaes, chaetomorpha and/or grape caulerpa.

so i should build in a chamber for the overflow to dump into and then it flows in the other area? and well i already have the chemipure and it removes phosphates and other things.. but as it sits just adding a chamber for the overflow itll work?

Take a look at these, they are pretty good lil systems to get an idea of how to design a sump: Tigger -refuge Premium Aquatics [CTGY]

You can also look here for some designs: Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

I know what Chemipure is, but when you just sit a bag in a sump it is passive filtration. In other words, water is not being forced through the media, thus not filtering efficiently. When algae and slime coats begin to grow on the bag it further reduces any water flow into the bag and through the media. That is why I recommended the reactor, which is what you would put carbon and/or phosphate media into.

my design is ninety percent the same as the 14g sump on melevsreefs and he dont have a reactor.. his is sand and algae and LR rubble.

There are many different ways to construct a sump depending on the type of sump you want in the first place. Because you have a sandbed lifted from the bottom of the sump on eggcrate and screening, that is a plenum. There is nothing particularly wrong with your setup other than the overflow under the plenum, but a separate reactor for chemical media is just more efficient than using a bag.

You could remove the eggcrate altogether and just have sand and rocks on the bottom of that section or just have rocks, it's up to you. As I said before, you just need something to help dissipate the initial flow from the system as it dumps into that section or you'll push the sand and macros around too much. If you want to build a small section for that you can view the links shown before as there are examples in them.

Depends on your skill level working with acrylic. You can Google designs for small reactors, but I personally find it easier to just purchase one.

found plans for a wet dry, and im planning on four stage filtration, first running through filter floss, then chemi pure wet, then passing through dry ceramic rings and pot scrubbers then throught wet ceramic rings and pot scrubbers

A wet/dry is really not needed in such a small tank unless you have some very messy animals and need the ammonia converted asap. Using a wet/dry will just make the algae scrubber work that much harder. However, if you really want to run a wet/dry, the water should be overflowing through the drip plate and ceramic rings/bioballs first, then the algae scrubber, chemical media, and then the refugium. You could also split the 3 compartments altogether with the mechanical on the left, return in the center, and fuge on the right (or vice versa). As for a refugium, you can either use sand, mud, or neither.

Back
Top Bottom