Would this be good as filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can get them for about 80 cents from work

Attachments

• image-934272893.jpg
    image-934272893.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 214
they should be fine as long as the dyes don't leach out.
One issue with those things is that if handled a lot they tend to get "powdery" but if you are just putting them in a canister or something, they should be fine.

I use the same type of material, but I get 2'x3' sheets of it from the lfs I go to.

hi PB_Smith. I put a post on 2 days a go and no 1 replied lol. So can I ask is cotton wool is ok to use in a filter, as I have always used it. But some one in pet shop told me not to use it. so put filter wool in and it not as good if you ask me.

With any questionable material... is it really worth the risk?? If anything buy a pond pad and cut it up..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cotton is not a good thing to put into a filter as it will rot. polyester batting is a better choice.
As to the pads above, they provide fine filtration, provided they contain no soap. Personally, while i have used pads of that type to fine filter, plastic pot scrubbers would be my choice for bio filtration. They are also very easy to clean.

I have but as I said it isn't as good as cotton wool, never mind :) I stopped using it now. I have used it for over 4 years though lol opps :) never had a problem with it though. thank you for you reply :)

cotton will decompose in water, harming water quality, not improving it.
all "floss" type media requires a few days before they really start trapping the ultra fine particles.

It is the best thing I ever used in my old turtle tank I tried lots of media in it. I understand why you all say it’s no good and I think you’re all right. I found it use to go in to a clump and get a like jelly on it whether that gel like stuff was any good is beyond me :S does any one know what the jelly is? But the water tests always said the water was really good when it was in there.

It is the best thing I ever used in my old turtle tank I tried lots of media in it. I understand why you all say it’s no good and I think you’re all right. I found it use to go in to a clump and get a like jelly on it whether that gel like stuff was any good is beyond me :S does any one know what the jelly is? But the water tests always said the water was really good when it was in there.

if it was 100% cotton then my guess is the "jelly" was bacteria/mold consuming the decomposing cotton.
cotton won't immediately decompose as it has been so processed, but it is a natural fiber and as such WILL eventually succumb to biological action.

Ok so where do you guys get your materials for making your own media. I want to make some corse medium and fine pads ideally

I usually buy bulk course, medium & fine pads online in 24"x36" or 36"x36" form. Most of the major online aquarium suppliers sell it this way. usually $10-15 per piece, once cut that's a fairly cheap filter!

I use JBL symec. It's cheap as chips and a big bag lasts me ages! Over a year.

1000g around a tenner, that's enough for several filters. It's safe and so cheap you may as well use it.

hmm wonders if cheese cloth would work but not sure if its made from cotton or not ?

Back
Top Bottom