Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
come get me tang police!

Sounds like it'd work, I just don't see that it'd benefit your system in any substantial way.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Sounds like it'd work, I just don't see that it'd benefit your system in any substantial way.
Agreed. Like I said before, 5-7ppm of nitrate is a tiny amount.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you saying it wouldn't consume any significant amount of nitrates, or that it's not worth doing? Do you think I'd be better off just adding Matrix to the HOB on the tank?

The reason I want to reduce nitrates is because apparently dwarf anchor catfish need 12.5 ppm or lower. 5-7 ppm may not seem like much, but if my nitrates are, let's say 10 ppm, just before a water change (10 gal low-light planted), a 50% water change isn't going to lower nitrates much. If weekly 50% changes are only removing 2 ppm, and >2 ppm nitrates are produced in the tank per week, the level will creep up over time.

Tags
ate, nitrate, nitrates, red, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com