Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would this help reduce nitrates in source water?

My tap water usually has around 5-7 ppm nitrates. Not too high, but I had an idea to reduce it a bit since I normally let my new water outgas in buckets to let the ph settle before a pwc.

Lately, I've just been doing water changes and refilling buckets right afterward, so the water sits for a whole week.

I have an extra spice shaker and some seachem matrix. I thought about drilling a hole in the bottom for an airline and putting matrix inside it. If I run this in the bucket constantly, would it eventually help reduce nitrates in the source water?

If not, this idea might make a good filter for a qt tank, or a nano shrimp tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You could put a bunch of stem plants in there and add shrimp too I suppose though getting out the water only and not the shrimp might need some ingenious rigging. And a Maybe a screen divider or something.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I had actually thought about using hornwort and rigging up some lighting with CFLs, but I don't really want to run extra lights.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The matrix only works because of a lack of oxygen in the media. Using an air stone would be doing the exact opposite. I agree with using the stem plants though, however 5 - 7 ppm of nitrate is not a big deal honestly.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah but a great excuse to set up a new "tank" .

A gooseneck desk or clamp light with a grow aquarium cfl bulb or household daylight CFL bulb with the proper K rating I found at Ace hardware would work.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The matrix only works because of a lack of oxygen in the media. Using an air stone would be doing the exact opposite. I agree with using the stem plants though, however 5 - 7 ppm of nitrate is not a big deal honestly.
+1

If you want to remove nitrates you could use an RODI unit, plants or just not worry about it.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would this help reduce nitrates in source water?

I guess I could try matrix in a small hob filter on the bucket. The thing is I already have air pumps running anyway, and I don't want to buy anything, I just want to use whatever's on hand since I'm not too worried about the nitrates anyway. I do have plants, but also dwarf anchor catfish that require low nitrate levels.

I thought the idea behind matrix is that the innermost pores are an anaerobic environment. Would the air even have an effect? Maybe the air would actually help with the whole nitrate exchange process by keeping the media in motion. I'm not really sure.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDepth View Post
I guess I could try matrix in a small hob filter on the bucket. The thing is I already have air pumps running anyway, and I don't want to buy anything, I just want to use whatever's on hand since I'm not too worried about the nitrates anyway. I do have plants, but also dwarf anchor catfish that require low nitrate levels.

I thought the idea behind matrix is that the innermost pores are an anaerobic environment. Would the air even have an effect? Maybe the air would actually help with the whole nitrate exchange process by keeping the media in motion. I'm not really sure.

The air would penetrate the inner pores of fhe matrix. It would work great for nitrifying bacteria, but not soo well for denitrifying.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Lee's corner filter that I run the Matrix in. Great thing is the air pumps the water OUT of the filter, thus it isn't oxygenating the filter. By adjusting the air rate extremely low you can get it to 'burp' one large bubble at a time up the lift tube, limiting even how much interaction the air gets with the exiting water. Other corner filters don't seem to burp the same, instead releasing a steady stream of small bubbles and increased air/water interaction. The odd shaping of the air and lift tube on the Lees filter I'm fairly sure is intentional to allow this.

I use this setup in my 5G neon tetras tank which is plumbed into my 75G planted tank. I use CO2 injection and must minimize any air/water interaction. My injection turns off overnight and the indicator is still a healthy green in the morning!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Mebbid & jrc. This gives me an idea. I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

I'll try using a small plastic water bottle, add some sort of lift tube to the top, cut small holes or slits in the bottom, fill it halfway with matrix, and plug in an airline near the top. That should work, right?

Tags
ate, nitrate, nitrates, red, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com