Would this work? passive algae scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Problem:
1) Going air pump/filter-less on my opae ula tank since I read they don't like current

2) Need biological filter for bacteria to convert ammonia etc...

3) Need area to grow algae (as feed for opae ula), preferably not on tank walls since it's so unsightly.

Solution:
Float/attach large filter sponge flat on the surface, below the LED lights. With the strong light, algae will grow rapidly on the sponge. Less light below so no algae. Increased area for bacteria to colonise. No currents/pumps required.

Reckon this crazy idea would work? :confused:

Algae should grow on the sponge, however, the lack of water movement is more of a concern both for the algae scrubber and the biological filter.
What size is the tank?
There are filters with directional output that can be pointed towards a corner or other areas for reduced distrust ion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

5g tank. was planning for a low tech tank so no pump/filter, so fair point on efficiency given no water movement. was hoping nitrates would simply diffuse upwards as they are consumed by the algae. same for ammonia/nitrites. maybe they are denser and would sink. will test it out once my LEDs arrive, hopefully soon.

5g tank. was planning for a low tech tank so no pump/filter, so fair point on efficiency given no water movement. was hoping nitrates would simply diffuse upwards as they are consumed by the algae. same for ammonia/nitrites. maybe they are denser and would sink. will test it out once my LEDs arrive, hopefully soon.

I'd do DIY UGF powered by air pump, should degrade larger particles, as they tend to sink. and for the algae, I'd consider building something out of 2l bottle filled with spongy media, cycled by air pump and strong light.

My Java moss experiment, started with 24h of light.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464824610.854107.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464824625.160185.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464824634.546314.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464824644.320860.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464824665.898454.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464824754.692199.jpg
You can see what just air and 24h light can do after 7 days to algae

Back
Top Bottom