Xzap's ECS = Evaporation Compensation System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's a thingie I made to add water to my tank due to evaporation between pwc. Is it really necessary, no way. Was it fun to make.. absolutely :)
Total cost of the parts was $7.75 and took about 15 mins. to put together. When my water level drops a bit, I'll open the valve and let water in til it's at the desired level.

For purpose of illustration I've let it hang on the front of the curtain. It will go BEHIND the curtain, you'll never know it's there.

Thx,

Dave

Attachments

• ecs1.jpg
    ecs1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 88
  • ecs2.jpg
    ecs2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 75
  • ecs3.jpg
    ecs3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 87
Cheap, easy, and effective means I'm gonna do it. :) You sealed around the exit pipe with silicone? I'm thinking bulkhead would be faster. Kudos.

That looks like a threaded bulkhead.. nice..
(btw.. Ive been looking for the same pitchers, I have one, for the fridge!!)

now come up with something for me that will deliver 5 gallons a day!

i saw an auto topoff thing at menards. it was like 15$?? it was for like cow water fillers. somehow you could connect that to an ro?

The auto topoff valve is for water troves.. you drill a hole in the trove and install the valve in like a bulkhead.. the plumbing is the same diamiamiter. :mrgreen:

it only puts in the water that evaporates out.. the water would be room temperature.. the heater in the tank would be bringing the new water up to temperature.. its not a water change....
If you were to build a auto water changing system you have two routes... you can have mixing barrels and do cycled waterchanges with pumps or you can do constant drip water changes.. in the case of the holding tanks you can heat them.. with the drip systems your adding only a negligable amont of water like in this example.. the heater of the tank brings the water up to the correct temperature..

Note: I originally built this as an automatic top off system. In theory, the water should stop draining from the top off pitcher when the tank's water level reaches the bottom of the tube, but it doesn't. I'm assuming the top on the pitcher isn't making a 100% air tight seal.

Thx,

Dave

The link is not showing anything....and I am trying hard to imagine what you are saying. My brain is not coming up with anything that would work in my living room.

Back
Top Bottom