Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Jprox,

Cjeck this site out for 4000 mcd blues, 6000 mcd greens and also 12,000 mcd whites - really cheap, shipped fast and the "company" (I think it's really someones basement ) seems really reliable:

http://www.lsdiodes.com/

Also: What I did to diffuse the light, was cut a 1" piece of 1/2" PVC, capped them on one side, drilled a hole in the cap to fit the LED snuggly facing into the pipe, then cut a small 1/2" diameter piece of plastic milk carton material and glued it to the other side. Voila - a mini-diffused LED spot light. I made three of these and mounted on a small strip - tested it last night on one of my fresh water tanks - worked great. I was a bit concerned how it would affect the fishes behavior - but all was well. They wouldn't swim anywhere near it for a while then one of them swam right into the center of the spot and sort of hovered there for quite some time - seemed like he thought he was basking in the moonligh

Before you go LED grinding you also may want to take a look at these LED condoms:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/whitecap.htm

HTH

Tom

Old 03-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
My LED's are naturally diffused. Since they are only an inch or so from the water they have been powdered by saltcreep. I couldn't have planned it any better.

Jim

Old 03-01-2004, 04:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
lol mad, that's where i ordered my blue 4000mcd from. i ordered wensday got on saturday. They are a good company fast processing, good shipping. Yeah it is ran out of some one's basement, if you look on the 'about us' portion, it says 2 college kids started the company because they didn't want to spend 4bucks on 1 led at a certain shack of radios.... so they started wholesaling leds. now both are at college and some people run the site and process the orders.

i just finished the grinding, and i have some mixed results. the lighting angle was minimally enlarged (maybe 10% if i was luckly) and the led was verry diffused.
so i don't know if grinding was a success or a failure. the light was so diffused it
hardly generated a beam when compared to a stock led. i tried poshling the led to restore some of the beam, but that didn't help, and i ended up going a little to far and destroyed the led. i order 10 (+1 free) so i have about another 5 more to play with. i will keep you guys posted.

diffusing: coat the tip of the led, in hot glue or aquarium sealer. if you feel it's to diffused you simply cut off a little of the sealer/glue till you get the satisfied results. and yeah salt creep is the ultimate diffusing substance.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow, excellent prices on that site. Some of the LEDs must be atleast 1/4 the price at other places such as jameco.com and digikey.com

If you want to increase viewing angle and decrease the intensity why not just use a lense?

Grinding is not the best idea even if you can polish it up you will still probably leave "scars" that are bad enough to cause a great deal of internal reflection losing much of the light.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

yep i learned that the hard way, about a week ago i stumbled onto some moding webpage, and there was an article on modding something, but in the article, they said by grinding you can increase the lighting angle, and if you order 10 from lsdiodes they give you an 1 free, so i experimented on that one and i have learned that it only increases the angle slightly, but it destorys most of the output. should have known that before i started, but it was just an led.. so no real big loss.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jprox - did you see my earlier post - let me reiterate one point and add a new one I just tested:

1.) Check the LED condoms site on my earlier post. From what I've heard, these are excellent diffusers that just snap ontop of the LED.

2.) This afternoons project: I used a 1/2" PVC endcap, drilled a hole to accept the LED, Bought some fine prism panes (for flour. lights), 2' x 2' sheet from Home Depot ($2.79), cut a small 3/4" disc of this stuff and glued it onto the open end of the PVC end-cap. It worked great - pleanty of light but diffused.

I'm more pleased with the results of the fine prismatic plastic from Home Depot then the cut plastic from a milk container.

Glad you experimented on the free one and not one you paid for

Tom
Old 03-01-2004, 08:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mad- i did check out the site,those condoms are used a lot in cars, esp japanese ones. today, i wanted to see what would exactly happen to the led. i was hoping it would get a little brighter, and the angle would increase but it didn't work and it was a great waste of 3mins, and about 45 cents. and sorry about the experiment sentence, i was just trying to be a little humorous but i doubt it came off that way.

but today i was just looking for something to do, and the advice sounded tempting so i gave it a whirl. your diffusing system sounds rather nice, i will be visiting my local HD and check of the panes. Thanks for advice
Old 03-01-2004, 11:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Jprox,

On the experiment thing - yeah I knew you were joking - I was joking back

Yeah - my new difuser works really good - the only problem is that that stuff is hard to cut - be careful with it.

Caio

Tom

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com