yeast recipes for diy c02

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what are your recipes and what i'm more interested in is how long to expect recipe to produce enough co2.

right now i'm using 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast in a two liter soda bottle, water filled to the curve at the top. this is my first mix and im on day two. when should i expect to change over?

how long did your recipe last before you made another one?

I've only been doing CO2 (DIY) for a week now, but the recipes didn't work for me from that website. I think it was due to me not activating the yeast before hand. Also, I think you're supposed to fill the bottle up with more water to the bend. The one that I found that worked is this:

1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 c tepid water (104 F)
2 cups sugar + a pinch

you activate the yeast in a little cup by adding it to the tepid water and stirring vigorously with a fork. Once it's dissolved, add a pinch of sugar and stir it again. Let it sit until it's all bubbly and smells like bread. Fill the 2 liter bottle with 4 inches of hot water and add the 2 cups sugar. Cap the bottle and shake it really well. Add cool water to the neck (first bend) and add your activated yeast. Gently shake it to mix and hook it up to your tank. I have 2 bottles and I plan on staggering them. I made the 1 bottle last Sunday and tomorrow I'll do the other bottle and then every week I'll make 1 of them fresh. I think the mixes are supposed to last around 14 days. I just don't want a huge ph swing if I do both of them at the same time, so that's why I'm staggering them. So far I'm getting loads of CO2 in my tank. I think I'm at about 14 ppm.

There's a calculator on the web somewhere...check the planted tank forum for a link in a sticky. You test your ph and kh and somehow those calculate into a formula to give you a rough number. Oh, and this time around I decided to experiment a little and I only added 1.5 cups of sugar. I got bubbles within an hour of hooking it up, so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom