Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2004, 01:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yet... Another 3D background question

I've been reading all the postings in the DIY section about 3D backgrounds and it seems for most part they all use construction insulation styrofoam sealed with epoxy...
My question is related to the safety of those products to fish.
My biggest fear is to make one of those and have my fish sick or dead soon thereafter...

1. Are all epoxy safe for aquariums (i.e. from home depot or ace hardware) or do you get those at lfs?
2. Has anyone built one of those 3D backgrounds? Where the fish OK?

Thanks a bunch!

Bioworldmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to krap101
you should only get epoxy from the lfs/online fish store. the other ones are usually toxic to fish. thats all i can help

~ Danny
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
hey monica!

1. the quick answer is no, but contrary to what danny boy thinks, not all non-lfs epoxies are unsafe. in most cases, the fish suppliers are simply taking a non-toxic product that is already available and marketing it towards the fish people with a hefty markup. case in point: "aquarium-safe" silicone. while someone might pay $11 for a small tube through their lfs or an online supplier, i can get two to three times more for $4 at home depot. it's called GE Silicone I (or the DAP equivalent.) that said, not all epoxy products are created equal. some have different solid content and some will leach toxins, VOCs, and other poisonous compounds into the water. for a background, a high solid, non-toxic epoxy is the way to go, obviously. the thing you want to look for is a NSF 61 rating. this means that it is approved (usually by the FDA) for use in potable water situations. public water supplies and water towers commonly use high solid epoxy linings, as do zoos exhibits and public aquariums. i used sweetwater epoxy paint for my new DIY aquarium and had excellent results. i have also heard very good things about the west systems boat/marine epoxy.

2. i have not built a 3D background, nor do i intend to due to my lack of artistic skill, but there is a ton of info/instructions about building them here --> http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php a word of caution: not to discourage you, but your final product will either turn out looking very believable, or it will look like styrofoam covered with epoxy. the commercial 3d backgrounds and exhibit backgrounds are created by very talented artists. from all the DIY backgrounds i have seen people build it, is either one or the other. rarely is there a mid-ground. the end result will depend heavily on what look you're going for and your artistic ability to actualize it. best of luck.
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator..."
--George W. Bush, Washington, DC, Dec 18, 2000
Mr Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks Mr.Burns
very helpfull info! Thank goodness I won't have to pay $15 for a tinny tube of epoxy...
Bioworldmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

3d background, background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com