Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since your designing from scratch do a little research and look into an algae turf scrubber (ATS). I just set mine up last night, but from what I have read it seems to have more advantage than keeping Chaeto and it's fairly simple to maintain & DIY.

Heres an idea for you that would use the same water to run your DSB and ATS using your same set-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	28607  

Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, I had actually thought of it but decided in the end to not go that route right away. I very well may add it at a later date but since I'm moving into a new house and setting this up I only wanted to tackle what I know I can get done first (there are a lot of other things I need to do to the house as well) and then look at other options.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't have a ball valve on the drain from the tank to the sump,if you need to isolate the sump just turn off your return pump and as Doug has said just use a syphon break.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok... I've been thinking about this and was worried that if I use the mag 9.5 split between going to the tank and going to the fuge I might now limit the GHP of the return pump. What do people think?

I was thinking of changing things around a bit to help in that respect. Here is a much simplified version of the sump.

Couple questions I have is where is the best place for the heater, in the intake or return section? The next is how much room do I have to give for the skimmer? The skimmer is 6" in diameter plus the pump. I would hope that 10" would be enough for the intake and skimmer. Also I wasn't sure about a bubble trap, I didn't think it would be good to have a waterfall right before the return pump so only have a single section of down, will this work?

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think this setup will work to well,the fuge and LR section wont get much water flow with this setup,most of the flow will go straight over the separators.if you look in my profile it shows a sump which I had built a long time ago,you'll notice the cloud in one section showing no flow in that section.I personally would have the skimmer in the far left,the fuge in the far right and the return in the middle,the pipework from the DT should run to a T and then route to the skimmer section and the fuge section(run the pipework down below water level to remove moisture and splashing).have valves in these two pipes and adjust so about 30% goes to the fuge and the rest to the skimmer.have another baffle between the LR and the return section.Put the heaters in the skimmer section.If your worried about using too many bends on the return pipework then just use hose.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a good idea to have the intake split in two and then have just the return going to the tank and not splitting the return to the tank and fuge. I like that idea.

It is better for the return to be straight up without bends or for the drain to be without bends? I can design it either way but would think that having the return without bends would give the most flow from the return pump.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think the above diagram will work fine. i would put the skimmer in the intake section and remove the partition between the ruubble section and the refugium section (rubble in the refugium won't hurt anything, and vice versa).
i have made plenty of sumps like that and never T'd off the return pump and all sections got the same amount of flow.
i would put heaters in the intake section with the skimmer.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok... so as I am now building the sump I have another question. Is one section going to be better than others to be larger? I was thinking of 10" for the intake, 12" for live rock and fuge and 14" for return so that I would have a larger return section to help with evaporation. Does this sound good?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would like the refugium to be as large as possible. the intake section, just large enough to hold drain lines and the skimmer, and the return section can be just large enough to fit the return pump if you are implementing an auto top off.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

At some point I want an ATO but it is not in the budget right now, which is why I was looking at a larger return section. I can, however, make the fuge a little bigger now and the return a little smaller now as that would be a little better for the future.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com