Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, It was going to be a little less than the rest I believe. It was going to be a bit less to keep the sand bed from getting stirred up.

Please keep comments coming. It is NOT too late for me to change the design and if it should be changed I would rather do it now I had thought of a 3 section sump (intake, then live rock/macro, then return) but remembered seeing another thread with someone with that kind of a setup and they were having a lot of problems because the water was just flowing across the top of the fuge section. I don't want that to happen.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how did this person know that there was no flow at the bottom of the rock? what problems did they speak of?
if that was the case, wouldn't the water down there be void of oxygen, since it is never changed? all of the sumps i built were loaded with life at the bottom....oxygen using life.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the pictures posted showed the section was very cloudy and he mentioned only seeing the water going along the top. I don't recall the thread now but it was on this site some time ago...
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

cloudy? that's just incredible to me. i've had very deep refugiums with no problems at all. i never had a cloudy refugium. maybe the guy was using reef mud or something, and that was making it cloudy. what would make it cloudy otherwise?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry but I don't remember

I believe the idea for this sump was based off of designs I found on Melevsreef and reading up on his ideas.

Just thinking about this, if I was to re-do it, I could do a 1/2 bubble trap where the water would enter the refug section at the bottom and then exit as the top. That would give extra flow. How about that idea? Or have the baffle from the intake section 1-2" higher than the exit section, there would be a slight drop that would push water down a bit. That would be an easier way to do it.

Then again I would now have a return pump that would most likely be too strong for the system since I purchased one specifically to have a split off to a side fuge...
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

this tank was a standard 75 gallon...look, intake, refugium, and return. all in a row and you can see how deep they are.

...and here is a standard 125 gallon tank...same deal...
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

i just think less is more in this situation. i think you, and the other guy with the "flow problems" are over thinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to me.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you even have any bubble traps in those setups? Also, are the baffles at the same height?

Edit: Thanks for all this quick back and forth!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, partitions are the same height and sort of- i only use an over and then an under- i don't think another over is doing anything for the bubble problem at the end, besides contributing.
see, this sump which is on the gym tank has water going over and then under to the return area.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

So say I go this route and re-do the sump (again, sigh). I will now have a 1200 gph return pump. I think it may be a bit much for the drain of the 90g tank but I really don't know. It has a mag 7.5 running on it now but it doesn't seem like enough (but it doesn't overflow).

I would still like to use this pump if possible. If it is returning too much water can I just put a T in there and have it dump some of the water back into the sump? Would that be bad?

EDIT: Then again the mag is only having to pump up about 2.5' currently and with my setup it will have to pump up about 5.5'.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com