your thoughts on my DIY sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made this sponge filter using one of those fluval edge pre filters into which I inserted an appropriately sized plastic tube. I then inserted an air stone inside.

My main questions are:
1- do you think this small of a sponge will provide sufficient filtration when connected to a 5gallon air pump for a 2 gallon shrimp only tank?

2- will it increase it's efficiency if I drill/ cut large holes at the bottom of the updraft tube? How big Should the holes be?
Also, Should the airstone be placed all the way at the bottom of the tube?
3- will shrimplets get sucked into it or into the bottom if I don't put a stand under it?

here's a picture, looks pretty sharp.

ForumRunner_20120709_213720.jpg

spong filter

looks good-- make shure the tube is not open on the bottom of the spong and you will be fine

I put a few pieces of gravel in the bottom. Do you think that will be good enough?

The rising air bubbles draw water through the sponge. It is a very cheap yet effective filtering method

It's just a fluval pre filter with a plastic UGF tube stuffed inside and an air stone put into the bottom. The ugf tube has holes like Swiss cheese inside under the sponge only

Back
Top Bottom