Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2002, 01:22 PM   #1

Aquariumplant.com

http://www.aquariumplant.com/

I ordered their plant package, 24 plant assortment for 34.99. I ordered it Tuesday morning arrived today, priority mail. I've never ordered plants online before. They arrived wrapped in wet newspaper in a zipper bag, in the mailing box, good packaging. Many of the plants don't look good at all, especially the swords. However, as I said, I've never ordered plants online, so I don't know the industry standard or anything. Anyway, I planted them in my 45 gallon, ASAP. That tank has 80 watts of light and a diy co2 system. I want to see what the plants look like in a week or so. Also, I didn't start countin til after i had planted several of them, but I think they sent me closer to 40 plants than 24. That's a lotta plants!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are there any special procedures your to follow when getting plants in the mail?

I know with saltwater stuff there is a rather long and extensive acclomation procedure to follow.

Do they have any knind of arrive alive guarintee?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:21 PM   #3

A bit embarrased to say, I didn't do what I normally do with plants I collect from the river, didn't even think about it. I usually give them a quick alum bath, (you can get alum at the drugstore), then put them in the tank/pond.

Basically, I planted them as quick as I could, with no prep at all. They were damp, but looked mighty thirsty! If you recall, this tank is just kind of a test tank. Since my other plants were thriving, I decided to order some and see what would happen. If I had thought about it, I would have done the same thing, as I want to see what kinds of algae I might have problems with, and any other issues that may crop up.

Also to get the best idea as to exactly what I want in the 90 I'm setting up. When it's ready, I'll have a bunch of stuff to start with that is acclimated to my tap water. I'll use what I like, leave the rest in the 45, maybe trade in some I dont like, but do well, to the LFS for credit.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:24 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
corvuscorax,

Its been two weeks since you got your plants.

How are they doing?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:06 PM   #5

Final count of plants they sent me was 36, not bad for an order of 24.

out of all those, there are 2 bulbs that either have died, or need more time to sprout. Everthing else is thriving like I can hardly believe. new growth everywhere, on some plants up to 6 inches growth in 2 weeks! I'm very pleased with all of them. Can't be sure, but I think the diy Co2 system has helped a lot. I ordered a comprehensive AQ plant book, when that arrives I'll have a better Idea what everything is! (I was very impatient and ordered plants before the book, bass-ackwards as usual)! One other thing I noticed that I cant explain yet, some of the plants that had red leaves when i got them, all the new growth is green, not red. Maybe they change with age, I dunno.

I've been very busy with a lotta work/life/traveling issues, so the 90 gallon isn't up yet, will be within the next 2 weeks. by that time I dont think I'll even need any more plants, though there are a few species I want but dont have yet. I really just need hairgrass, willow moss, and 1-2 other fore ground plants. Also will collect a few plants this weekend at the lake I'm going fishing at.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

One thing I think I heard is iorn supplments help put the red back in the plants that are red.

Since I am a newbie at planted tanks myself I have no idea if this is true or just LFS rumors

Tags
plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com