Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Scott,

I prefer Hellolights if they have the light you want. Great pre- and post sales support there.
I have been mostly pleased with MarineDepot for dry goods. More now than a couple of years ago. Still, they are in the middle tier for me. I use them if the Drs. or TPP does not have what I want, or they are significantly cheaper.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Thanks Cmor, I have been seriously looking at the Tek T5s from them. I guess I am really looking for a "do not buy from them" LOL, but their prices are great (just not a huge fan that the system does not come with bulbs, fan, moonlight LEDs or splash guard). I do like the adjustable legs. I am looking to replace my nova extreme T5s. I see a few flaws (maybe user error), but it seems to be having issues.
Who is TPP?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thumbs up for Hellolights. (Sorry... no "do not buy from them!) Absolutely amazing packaging when I bought my light fixture.

TPP = That Pet Place (That Fish Place)?

Also... I've only bought dry goods/hardware from MarineDepot, and like them for that. Prices are pretty good and selection of upper end stuff is good. Only complaint is probably not even against them... but every single box I've received from them (think it's been three or four) has come in really bashed up. Last box was partially open. There's never been any damage, but from what I can tell they don't really pack the boxes as full with peanuts as they should. Either that or they have a gorilla on their UPS pickup route. But honestly... it could just be an issue with UPS.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Kurt answered for me. TPP = ThatPetPlace. I ordered once from MarineDepotLive and was not happy. The Drs. (liveaquaria.com) are about the best for live goods though I am sure there are others.

Where ever you buy from just make sure they ship the bulbs separately from the fixture. When I got my aqualight the bulbs (PC and MH) were installed when it shipped and at least two of the PC's were broken on arrival. They shipped the unit twice that way and then I insisted that they remove the bulbs ship them wrapped separately. The Drs. are good about stuff like that. They insisted on shipping a new unit instead of just replacement bulbs, and picked up the shipping on the returns. As a long term customer they also cross shipped the new fixture without a charge so I didn't have to wait.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree Cmor, I was not pleased with marinedepotlive at all. I love TPP and the drs for dry goods. I have been to TPP a few times and am still amazed at the size and selection in the store.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com