Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can you report a pet store for abuse?

So I went into a local pet store (small, not a chain store) to have a look around and I was appalled by the conditions. In one tank alone there was 8 dead fish floating. There was a beautiful Oranda that was in the process of dying. Many of the tanks were filthy. I took a glance into the small room that housed the rodents and was stunned. The mouse cage was so full the bottom looked like a hairy, moving carpet. The place smelled gross too. Does anyone know if pet stores are checked on for humane practices?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Community Moderator

That would most likely be something controlled by local authorities. I doubt they really do much unless they're keeping dogs or cats in inhumane situations (rodents and fish don't really draw much attention from the animal rights activists).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Apisto addiction

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny
So I went into a local pet store (small, not a chain store) to have a look around and I was appalled by the conditions. In one tank alone there was 8 dead fish floating. There was a beautiful Oranda that was in the process of dying. Many of the tanks were filthy. I took a glance into the small room that housed the rodents and was stunned. The mouse cage was so full the bottom looked like a hairy, moving carpet. The place smelled gross too. Does anyone know if pet stores are checked on for humane practices?
I have been to a place like that in Ames. I spoke with the manager and he said that as long as he passes inspection he is fine.
maxwellag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Call the police station (not the emergency number) and ask them. The worse that can happen is that they say to call animal control. Better to have tried than not tried at all!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wouldn't bother the police with this. Maybe call dept of health? If the mice cages are kept in that condition, maybe they could be more likely to carry diseases? Like someone said these places must pass an inspection. Every jurisdiction if different as to who does what.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I called the SPCA to ask and they gave me number for bylaw enforcement. When I called them they told me I wasn't the first person to call about that store. They are sending an officer by to do an inspection and then they will call me back with a report.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

woohoo! Awesome news!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There was a place here on the Oregon coast that was shut down recently after several warnings from the Humane Society to clean up their act.

Try here: The Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals There's a link at the bottom to report animal abuse happening in Alberta.
EDIT: oops, missed the post where you said you called..
Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I wish I had reported one place near me for the way they were keeping a large python, but I really doubted that anyone would do much because it was a reptile. Had it been a dog or cat, it would have been a big deal, but reptiles, rodents, fish and other "small animals" tend to get the short end of the stick. So instead I just don't go there and tell everyone I know to avoid them as well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com