Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Flying Fish Express - Livestock Order Experences

Well, I just ordered some livestock from Flying Fish Express

They have some powder blue tangs on sale and I really thing these fish are awsome looking.

I also ordered 4 cleaner shrimp. They was $9 each so I got 4 of them. Two for my 80 and two for my 20. I hope they will mate. That will make great food for the filter feaders I have read.

I also got 3 green chromis so that I will have a total of 4 chromis in the 80.

I belive this will complete the fish population in the 80.

I will report back tommorow when I recive the order on the condition of the fish. The packing methods and such.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ok. Here are two quick pics.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Ok, I guess now I will discuss my first impressions of Flying Fish Express's packing.

I got the box and it was totally dry. (This is a great first indicator)

Here is a photo of the box. As you can see its clearly marked and is well taped up and sealed.

Once I got the outer box open I found a styrofoam box inside that was also taped up. Even if a bag had broken or leaked the water would be hard pressed to get out of the packaging.

Once I got the styrofoam box open I found "pay dirt" before me I saw the bags contaning my order. All of the bags where neatly placed in the box. There was even a little bag full of just water to act as a spacer to help pack everything in so it would not shift. There was news paper on top and bottom of the bags. This news paper was bone dry. Not sure the photo shows that part.

As you can in this pic all the bags have been removed from the box and are floating in the tank to get the water temp up.

All of the items where in atleast 4 bags and the bags where closed by metal clips. I had to first cut the tops off the outer two bags. THen removed the inter two bags. then opend the inter bags to finally start the acclomation process.

AT this point I would definatly order livestock from Flying Fish Express again.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

this is exactly how www.liveaquaria.com sends livestock as well. just FYI
Old 08-09-2002, 01:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

now heres a question was it shipped intra state or in the states or do they do out of country studff 2??? and if on the realllly out side chance the bag ripped open would the toxins in styrofoam hurt fish??? ive just never heard of mail order fish thats all

mail order russian brides yes fishies nope heh!
Old 08-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos
now heres a question was it shipped intra state or in the states or do they do out of country studff 2??? and if on the realllly out side chance the bag ripped open would the toxins in styrofoam hurt fish??? ive just never heard of mail order fish thats all

mail order russian brides yes fishies nope heh!
It was shipped from CA and I live in VA so it was shipped all the way across the states. I placed my order at 13:00EST and the order according ot fedex tracking was picked up around 20:00EST. I recived the package the next morning at 11:00EST.

According to FFexpress's papers that they send with the shipment it says they ship all livestock in water with a SG of 1.014 to help prevent parasites. This is why its crucal to take your tiem and slowly acclomate them to your tank once they arrive. For example I keep my tanks at a rather high SG of 1.025 unadjusted for temp. But in my q-tank I dropped the q-tank SG to 1.020. Over the course of the next few weeks I will rase this to my SG in my other tanks

Oxygen is also placed in the bag when it is packaged and usually they place 1 critter in each bag. I was suprised to find one bag did have two green chromis in it. I would have prefered to seen each critter in its own bag. Even the most peaceful fish can get agressive in the confinds of just a few cups of water.

As you can see in the last pic there is a black section on the outer bags. While I am not exactly sure what its purpose is but I think it is to add in keeping the bags from being punctured.

I think styrofoam is fairly inert when it comes to saltwater. So the worst that would happen would be the water would be to low to properly cover the fish or invert and it would die in shippment.

This is why the arrive alive guarintee is important.

http://www.ffexpress.com/policies.htm#quality
http://www.ffexpress.com/shipping.htm

It looks like Flying Fish Express will only ship to the US, AK and Puerto Rico

Tags
fly, live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com