Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wanting to rant

I wont use the name of the LFS to protect the not so innocent. I went to the local area chain fish store today to pick up some chaeto and noticed that they were selling rather large "yellow tailed blue devil damsel" buy 2 get 1 free. I really wonder what typical new or even semi experienced sw aquarist is willing to put 3 of these little monsters into there peaceful community in the name of a good deal. Maybe Im wrong , but i find it ridiculas that a lfs would even offer to sell someone three damselfish and reccomend that they put them all together in the same aquarium. I guess this paticular store reccomends survival of the fitest in home aquaria.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Maybe it's a newb question but what is so wrong with that? Are damsels incompatible with each other or something?

One thing I did notice at Petsmart was they had something in their FW tanks that said "Petsmart recommends the use of 'Petsmart Aquarium Salt' to condition your water with". It may not be word for word but it was something very similar. You would think that they would want to ask people what they have in thier tanks before they suggest using salt.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Damsels are a staple, always have been. Although many can be territorial, there are also quite a bit mild-mannered to almost shy species that do very well with other fish.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think if you introduced them to the tank at the same time the damsels would get along fine as long as there was enough space for them to develop their own territories. They get along ok at the LFS they should get along ok in your tank. If all you had was damselfish that would be ok its when you introduce other fish after the damselfish that the problems are presented as they get very territorial a lot of the time but not all of the time. I have a 3stripe damsel thats not mean at all.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

peaceful community tanks are not the only kind of tanks people have, either. Many people keep semi agressive/agressive tanks. as well as damsel species tanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com