Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Online Shopping Deals PLEASE POST :-)

Hi Fellow Reef Hobbyists,

Just want to pass on this deal for anyone who shops online.

#1 Big Als Aquarium Supplies: Fish Tanks, Stands, Decorations, Accessories

Big Al's Online is currently offering free shipping for all orders that are $50.00 or more!

Also for anyone whoe doesn't know about Big Al's. Big Al's offers the lowest price guarante. If you find it for less they will match the price and then beat it by 5%!!

Also with every purchase you earn VIP points, which can be used for monetary discounts on future purchases.

Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products: Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies

Dr.Fosters is currently having the Red Tag Sale, which has been going on for some time now with up to savings of the 30%

If anyone has anymore deals that they would like to share please do so, so that we can all benefit!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
Can't beat Drs. F&S. I just made a good sized order from them about two weeks ago. Even the cheapest shipping it arrived within two days.

My third order and I'm about ready to make a fourth. They even upgraded one of my items because the smaller size was out of stock, free of charge!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Big al's gave beat Dr fosters by 5% on my light bulb order and saved me a few bucks.

Saltwaterfish.com will put a 5% credit into your account for store credit when you purchase a $25.00 or more gift certificate.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Big Al's online rox! I noticed that here in Edmonton (Canada) if you go into a local Big Al's store, their prices are much higher than online. I just purchased a 100w jagar heater, and online was $29.99; at the Big Al's store, I paid $37.99. An air pump from online was $19 bucks, was $25 at the local store.

I asked the staff at the local Big Al's store but they didn't seem to care much about the difference in prices even though its the same company name. The idea that they are 20% higher priced at the store made me think they weren't interesting in giving customers good value with their purchases
Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guess is that they are higher priced at the store because of the overhead. The rent/mortgage payment, utilities, staff, etc.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Sliced Bread

They have all of that for their online sales too though, need a building for stock, utilities to run it, staff to pack and ship, etc.

Petsmart is the same way, their online prices are lower than their store prices 9 out of 10 times, but they honor their online prices if you print it out and take it with you to the store.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, they do have overhead for the warehouse. But, in a lfs they have the upkeep of the tanks in addition to keeping the store appealing to the customer. A warehouse is generally not appealing to the consumer. The lfs is full of aquascaped tanks, signage, staff that has knowledge in aquaria, and the assorted displays. The Big Al's warehouse probably has half a dozen employees that run around grabbing items off of shelves or in bins. They don't have the livestock loss of merchandise like a lfs has where they have to compensate the loss of life by upping the in store price.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic View Post
The Big Al's warehouse probably has half a dozen employees that run around grabbing items off of shelves or in bins. ...
It might not even be a "Big Al's" warehouse. Could be a third party fulfillment service. You'd be surprised how much of your online purchases never even see the light of the warehouse where you think they're coming from! The same guy that's picking your fish stuff one minute could be picking car parts the next.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/ship...um_Listing.pdf That fish and pet place having a good sale this weekend 4/19 4/20 Any body who lives near Lancaster PA may want to check it out too bad I live a long ways away. Prices look pretty good for Tanks and stands

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com