Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Petsmart doesn't know what ICH is?

Well I went to my local Bozeman petsmart yesterday and I looked inside their tank that had some mollies. The whole tank was infected with ICH! What was even worst was one of their platy tanks was also infected. They were also still selling the infected fish to people. Do they know that their fish are infected? Its not that hard to see that they are covered in ICH. I saved three platys from them and cured them in my quarantine tank. Thankfully, but still all the infected fish at petsmart makes me sick at how they treat their fish.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You can't make blanket statements like that. Petsmart is a huge company with many many stores. You're welcome to post factual information about individual stores, but you can't make generalizations like that.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you point out the ich to any store employee, or better yet the manager? Anytime I've seen ill fish and pointed them out to a manager they were quick to put an under observation sign up...

I've got fishes in my head...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

^^^ yes, did you inform them? When I tell employees a tank has ich the next time I come in its under treatment.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
You can't make blanket statements like that. Petsmart is a huge company with many many stores. You're welcome to post factual information about individual stores, but you can't make generalizations like that.
Obviously this was the person stating from his own experience with them and his opinion. Does this forum sensor it's own members? It wasn't libel as it obviously was his own experience and he didn't say all pet stores. Not trying to argue with the top dogs but I dislike censorship.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2 View Post
Obviously this was the person stating from his own experience with them and his opinion. Does this forum sensor it's own members? It wasn't libel as it obviously was his own experience and he didn't say all pet stores. Not trying to argue with the top dogs but I dislike censorship.
I believe his comment was in reference to the OP's statement, he was speaking of petsmart in general and not this specific store/employee/situation. It has nothing to do with censorship.

I know personally there are 3 petsmart stores in my area and 1 is usually top notch, while the others are hit and miss depending on who is working.

So it'd be similar to me walking into the one 'bad' petsmart here and then posting a thread about how petsmart is so terrible, it wouldn't be very accurate would it? I'm sure they (as a company) know what ICH is, as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petsmart as a company knows very well what Ich is. Our store treated the system whenever we got a shipment in. If the UV Sterilizers lights are working and the system is treated correctly the incidence of Ich went way way down.

Sometimes the supplier sends sick fish. Petsmart only has a couple of QT tanks. Obviously they cannot pull huge amounts of stock.

Absolutely point out an Ich outbreak. To a manager if the associate seems clueless. I would always inform customers if I saw any fish in a tank with Ich. One tank will not infect the system if the UV is working.

There are good protocols that Petcare department are supposed to follow. Individuals and certain stores may fail at this. Contact Customer Service or Corporate if problems continue. They actually do want to have happy customers.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

I believe his comment was in reference to the OP's statement, he was speaking of petsmart in general and not this specific store/employee/situation. It has nothing to do with censorship.

I know personally there are 3 petsmart stores in my area and 1 is usually top notch, while the others are hit and miss depending on who is working.

So it'd be similar to me walking into the one 'bad' petsmart here and then posting a thread about how petsmart is so terrible, it wouldn't be very accurate would it? I'm sure they (as a company) know what ICH is, as well.
understand where you are coming from and I agree that all petsmarts and petcos shouldn't be lumped together. But mdfrookie said they CAN'T make statements like that but they are welcome to say something else. that's censorship no matter ur pov. People in positions of authority should chose words more wisely if they don't want to be misunderstood. I like mdfrookie he's helped me alot. I just believe freedom of speech is important.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2 View Post
understand where you are coming from and I agree that all petsmarts and petcos shouldn't be lumped together. But mdfrookie said they CAN'T make statements like that but they are welcome to say something else. that's censorship no matter ur pov. People in positions of authority should chose words more wisely if they don't want to be misunderstood. I like mdfrookie he's helped me alot. I just believe freedom of speech is important.
I think everyone believes in freedom of speech, but you have to remember that this is a privately owned forum with it's own set of rules and standards. For more clarification you can reference the rules here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules , and if you have any other questions or comments you are welcome to PM a mod.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I see thanks. Not intending to argue at all. I will pm for more clarification. rules are rules.

Tags
ich, petsmart

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com