Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Buy | Sell | Trade > General Retailers
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thinking about ordering fish from apistodave?

It's been 27 days since I've placed my order with him, and it's still not completed.

The short story:

Friends and I went in and bought some apistos from dave - to save on shipping.
Order finally arrives, I'm short a pair, and I had some DOA's. I mentioned this to dave the day I got them in the mail. He said that if I paid shipping, I could get my pair and the DOA's replace. I didn't find this fair, as part of my order was missing. When I told him this, he tells me he'll take care of it. I asked him each week, if the fish were going to be shipped. The response I got 2 weeks ago was that he was out of town. The response last week (weds) was that I should be getting them (last week). When I mentioned that I didn't get them on saturday, I was told that they would ship out today and I was again asked to pay shipping for them. I forwarded the email he had sent me prior saying that he was 'taking care of it' and that I wasn't responsible for shipping. So, he told me to watch the mail for them all last week, only to find out that he didn't ship them at all. I waited for the mail each day, as the past week has been rather chilly here.

By now, I'm a bit PO'd. I wrote a email with some attitude, and he wrote me back saying that him and I were done talking. Done talking? he owes me fish or a refund - and I told him that. I've gotten no response since then.

I cut off some holiday plans on friday and saturday afternoons awaiting the potential arrival of the fish - because I didn't want them sitting in the cold.

I'm not here simply to skew the picture to make him look bad. I'm here to share my experience. I am certain that communication is playing a part here. I would email him, and not get a response for a couple days. Then when I do get a response, it was typically a sentence fragment that left me with a *huh* look on my face.

I've been in contact with him for almost a month now, most of that trying to get this last part resolved.

I was told that extra female A. Cacatuoides Triple Reds were $14 each (and I wanted 2 extra). Odd, because a pair costs $16 - something about females were hard to come by right now. Fine. I asked if I should send paypal payment again, for $4 (to complete the 3rd and forth pair). He said "HAHAHAHAH Naw man since you are so Handsome and like I said I got extra males Iíll just throw a couple in"

I'm not sure what to make of that.

I've started the Paypal dispute process. He said he shipped the "Two pairs and two fish is 3 pairs which is what it shows on the paypal payment-two pairs of A cacatuoides triple reds, with 2 extra females" and he's indicating in the dispute that I acknowledged receiving the 2 extra females. That is a lie - and that doesn't sit kindly with me. If I was sent 3 pair, then why was I charged $16 x2 (for pairs) and $14 x2 (for females)?

Now, in the dispute log, he's only referring to the invoice, and saying that the 2 males weren't on it, thus weren't ordered, and not paid for - and that everything has been shipped.

I don't know who this dave guy thinks he is, but I'm not sure that he should be talking to anyone the way he responded to me today:

I had placed a Paypal claim, and after a couple days of no return communication on dave's part, I escalated the claim. Paypal's automated system denied my claim instantly (seemed like a scripting error, and I've written paypal regarding it). Here's the response I got from good ol dave:

::edited by FishyFanatic:: Removed the personal e-mail address of Dave and the e-mail message as it violates the User Agreement of this site. Also moved the post to the General Retailers forum as it does not belong in The Lounge.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

From the way you describe it, you are supposed to be happy with whatever he ships you (regardless of the order) and however he ships it. Unfortunately there are always a few unsavory and un-reputable characters doing business out there. Sorry you ran into one. I was actually going to buy fish from this guy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My experience with him was excellent-nice fish, extras, good communication.

If I hadn't ordered from him before and wanted to, I'd contact Dave privately and inquire about the above situation, then decide. Sometimes misunderstandings get way out of control.

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com