What is our goal for this stocking advice sticky?
Many times newbies get discouraged when they ask about stocking and AA people tell them they are maxed out or even overstocked.
They feel offended at our adamacy about it. Because the LFS
told them such and such was fine, they don't believe us when we say differently.
They don't know quite what to do with the "extra" fish. :| They feel embarrassed
that they made such a "grave" mistake. They may decide that it is too hard to keep an aquarium and quit.
I was a little crestfallen when I realized that my tank was overstocked. We tend to discourage people who are just getting their big toes wet with the hobby. We need to be much more affirming and positive about newbies and stocking issues IMHO
1. We need to affirm people's foray into the hobby and encourage them. They are here and asking questions and that is GREAT!
2. Educating that a properly stocked aquarium will THRIVE, not simply survive.
3. A properly stocked tank will be much easier to take care of -- less frustrating in the long run.
4. A properly stocked tank will be cheaper to maintain -- less disease, fewer losses of livestock
5. It is FUN to have fish functioning at their best and it makes the fish keeper feel good to know the fish are doing well.. 8)
another 2 cents.