Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you looking at only FW fish? SW (somebody correct me if I am wrong) is 1 in of fish per 5 gal. Big difference in the two. I had my 55 gal set up as FW and had 24 fish in it. I tore it down and re-established it as a SW. Now I have 2 fish in it and only plan on adding 1 MAYBE 2 more. A LOT of diffent possibilities when stocking, and there are always questions that need to be asked. Other wise this forum would be non existant .

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haus: My experience is only with FW, so SW stocking guidelines would be different -- at least some of it would be different. Is there other SW stocking advice beyond the "5gal per inch" rule?

DeFekt: <blush> thanks. I think more dialogue would be helpful before we get into thinking about a sticky. How can we get more input? Can an AA advisor take this up and spread the word for more input? Stocking guidelines for newbies... suggestions needed?

Lets see... what else affects stocking? I'm just asking questions in hopes that someone else will know.

water parameters, pH, KH, GH?
DOCs?
Nitrates from tap water?
plants?
CO2?
substrate?
UGF vs. HOB vs. canister?
aireation with air stones?
footprint of the tank (tall, hex, long)?
Tank mates (lg fish will eat small fish)?
LFS? (LFS will encourage more fish because that's how they make money, not because they're right.)
Liklihood of getting diseases (fish more prone to illness should be lightly stocked)?
What fish do better with others? (A school of tetras will draw out a shy discus)

What do you think?

Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is our goal for this stocking advice sticky?

Many times newbies get discouraged when they ask about stocking and AA people tell them they are maxed out or even overstocked. They feel offended at our adamacy about it. Because the LFS told them such and such was fine, they don't believe us when we say differently. They don't know quite what to do with the "extra" fish. :| They feel embarrassed that they made such a "grave" mistake. They may decide that it is too hard to keep an aquarium and quit. I was a little crestfallen when I realized that my tank was overstocked. We tend to discourage people who are just getting their big toes wet with the hobby. We need to be much more affirming and positive about newbies and stocking issues IMHO.

1. We need to affirm people's foray into the hobby and encourage them. They are here and asking questions and that is GREAT!
2. Educating that a properly stocked aquarium will THRIVE, not simply survive.
3. A properly stocked tank will be much easier to take care of -- less frustrating in the long run.
4. A properly stocked tank will be cheaper to maintain -- less disease, fewer losses of livestock
5. It is FUN to have fish functioning at their best and it makes the fish keeper feel good to know the fish are doing well.. 8)

another 2 cents.
coolchinchilla
Old 08-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to virus
ok this is where im going with this now mabe like cichlid secton then others like Guppies then platies and us as a community can come togther to make a grand sticky!!! lol and help all of the stickys
1 Rosy barb
3 Neon Swordtails
1 Platinum lyretail mollie
3 Cory Cats
1 Dojo Loach
1 Angelfish
10 Gallon
empt- but running

This is cool place to make a extra budget for ur fishies by reading emails
http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?Virus
Old 08-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Well, this has proven to be a very valid discussion. While it's true that the 1" per gallon rule is not absolute, it is a guideline. What I've seen occur is that as mentioned, someone will say "Your overstocked" instead of "You may want to consider reducing the amount of fish you have for the following reasons..."

On the other side, if someone really has overdone it, something that may be already life threatening, as experienced aquarists, that person should be informed of this. It can be done without making the person feel inadequate or feeling that they were negligent in their actions.

IMO, I think there is a huge difference between having one too many guppies and having one too many Oscars. One will be affected much sooner than the other.

In light of the information that has been posted, Kudos to each of you.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok so let me ask everyone mabe this can be a pre-sticky, i mean the info would probably be scatterd in this thread so i think that i can collect all the info when its done! ohh and mabe when making a post about lets say somthing like oscars or balas, put that THEY will grow fast and they WILL need a bigger tank, becsue i seen many aquariust do that mistake, like me for example, i got 2 oscars for my ten gallon not relizing that they are gonna grow HUGE, but in all fairness they get a nice big 75 when christmas rolls around!!!
1 Rosy barb
3 Neon Swordtails
3 Cory Cats
1 Dojo Loach
1 Angelfish
10 Gallon
empt- but running

Old 08-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i think the higher the ph gets or something the more deadly ammonia is?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I believe your correct krap...plus higher temps.

Virus - I would suggest submitting this thread to an Advisor and requested as a sticky in the "Getting Started" forum. Perhaps outling some of the thoughts listed above.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok now how do i do this?
do i just pm with the thread addy?
1 Rosy barb
3 Neon Swordtails
3 Cory Cats
1 Dojo Loach
1 Angelfish
10 Gallon
empt- but running

Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

virus,

sounds like this little project will do a lot of good. Maybe a first sticky can be general ideas as above. Then a followup can be species-specific guidelines with each species with a separate sticky instead of one grand uber sticky. Then people who have no interest in guppies, oscars & goldfish don't have to wade through all that information to get to the info about mollies. Besides, I'm thinking it might take a while to gather enough info for the different species, so let that be created as it happens. If you get an initial sticky up as an example maybe it will increase the interest and more would be willing to participate.

Another suggestion is to ask regulars here to write up a sticky in their expertise such as an Oscar breeder writing about oscars and a puffer expert writing about puffers. Then you don't have to collect all that information yourself from various posts.

Just some thoughts. I'm not attached to any of these ideas... just trying to make suggestions so creative juices keep flowing.

coolchinchilla

Tags
inch per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com