100 Gallons of water on the floor!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I was coming home from work at 8pm Wednesday night, I got a frantic call from my brother-in-law. I helped him find and set up a 120G freshwater tank in his livingroom. Well, the call was to tell me that he needed help to clean up the livingroom floor and needed someplace to put his fish. His tank cracked from the lower left corner of the front piece of glass to about half way up the right side of the front glass. He had about 100 gallons of the tank water on his carpeted livingroom floor. So we got the fish out of the tank into buckets (not losing even one fish---miracle!!) and drained the final 20 gallons of water out of the tank and put the tank outside. I took the fish that he had in the tank home and put them in my 115G community tank. The following day he called his insurance company (USAA) about the damage. They advised him that he didn't tell them about the large aquarium and they will not cover the damage! We haven't gotten a price for the cleanup and replacement of the carpet, but I am thinking a couple thousand, at least. I also have USAA and I am going to call them and declare my fish tanks. I dont know if the premiums will go up, but I dont want to be in the same situation. So, I guess my message is to CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND VERIFY DAMAGE FROM BROKEN TANKS IS COVERED, IF NOT, GET IT COVERED!!!

2 Really big Pangaseus catfish about 8" and 6", 1 3" pleco and about 30 other fish from bloodfins, black skirt tetras, giant danios, minnows, 2 angels, neons....etc.

Boy that sucks,.but if it makes you feel any better it happened to me twice years ago ( 125 gallons ) once with a tank that was on a home made stand that wasn't level and once when a space heater actually greated a hot spot on my tank and there was this sickening crack followed by a tidal wave,.... Tile floors came to be right after that !!

That sucks. Any idea how it happened? Was it level? Did something hit it?

When he came home it was cracked and almost empty. The crack started in the lower left front corner. After we got it all cleaned out we noticed alot of silicone in that corner. Looks like it had a chip in it that the previous owner covered with silicone and it eventually cracked. Buyer beware, I guess. And yes, it was level.

Sorry to hear that...
Calling my insurance company now. I was told that between personal property and liability coverages I am covered for everything but the livestock. Glad I don't have USAA!

Back
Top Bottom