120$ for a 46 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on upgrading my 29 Gallon to a 46 Gallon Bowfront. I'm going to just reuse my Lights from my 29 Gallon, and I found on Craigslist an offer for a 46 Gallon Tank. Just the tank alone and a filtration system (unspecified yet) is 120$. Does anybody think this is a good deal or should I try and haggle for a lower cost? If it goes through I'm going to purchase a stand for 100$.

I've seen new Aquarium 46 Gallons listed between 350 and 400, but I feel as if i can go lower in terms of price. Thoughts anybody?

With an unknown filter and given that it is a used tank, I think you could go lower. Be sure to get pictures-no one wants a tank that's scratched to hades after all lol.

I purchased my 46 new for $280... That came with stand, light, and glass top. Just to give you an idea...

I'd think you could go to $100 or less. I have never paid asking price on CL, people usually leave room to drop the price and feel comfortable or just need it gone bad enough not to care...if the filteration system is nice thats a bonus.

I found this on my Cichlid Specific site I frequent and they got it from somewhere else but all good info.....

I found this on another site.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...hlight=pricing

Yes, I know you spent a bucket of cash to get yours, but this is RESALE.
And it's craigslist....the BARGAIN-hunter's market.
Aquariums/fish tanks do NOT hold a high resale value.
Therefore, for those of you who are trying to sell USED aquariums on CL and NOT getting your (often) exorbitant asking prices - here's a simple, FAIR guide to pricing:

And because many of you don't know or need to find out exactly what size your tank is, here's a calculator: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/info.../calculate.htm

AQUARIUMS: Glass

If it's a year old or UNDER - $2.00 - $3.00 per gallon.
If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.
Hexagons - $2.00 or less/gallon.
BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

AQUARIUMS: Acrylic

If it's a year old or UNDER - $1.50 - $2.50 per gallon.
If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.
Hexagons - $1.50 or less/gallon.
BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

STANDS & CANOPIES:

$1.00 per gallon of aquarium the stand holds. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION)
$.50 - $.75 per gallon of aquarium the canopy covers. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION)

GLASS TOPS and PLASTIC HOODS:

25% - 40% of retail

LIGHTING:

WITH newer bulbs:
Incandescent - $5.00 (usually only 10 gallons or less are incan's)
Fluorescent - $10.00 per foot
Compact Fluorescent - $20 - $30 per foot (based on condition of housing, cord)
Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are evidently lightly used.
REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 60% of retail

W/O bulbs or OLD bulbs:
Incandescent - Free
Fluorescent - $7.00 per foot
Compact Fluorescent - $15 - $20 per foot
Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are very evidently lightly used.
REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 40% of retail

ACCESSORIES:

Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....50% - 65% of retail (UNDER 1 year of use)
Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....25% - 40% of retail (OVER 1 year of use)
Freshwater - 25% of retail (regardless of age - very easily replaced)

GRAVEL:

Natural colors - .15 - .20 cents per pound (clean)
Other colors - .05 cents per pound

HEATERS:

UNDER a year (of use) old -
50W - $2
100W - $4
150 - 200W - $6
250 - 300W - $10
OVER a year old - free (heaters aren't trustworthy enough after a year of use to justify $$)

FILTERS -

UNDER a year old - 50% of retail
OVER a year old - 25% of retail

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

An empty aquarium is ONLY an aquarium. *****
ONLY when full of livestock (that is included in the sale) is a tank considered a SALT or FRESH aquarium.
There is NO SUCH THING as an EMPTY saltwater or freshwater aquarium.
It is JUST an aquarium.

****If you have the EQUIPMENT, ACCESSORIES and /or LIVESTOCK for a SALTWATER hobby, then it is a "SALTWATER AQUARIUM SET-UP."
****If you have the EQUIPMENT, ACCESSORIES and /or LIVESTOCK for a FRESHWATER hobby, then it is a "FRESHWATER AQUARIUM SET-UP."

REHOMING LIVESTOCK:

Check local prices before you buy someone's critters.
Often, buying livestock from a private party is better - especially if they have had (it) for a while w/o problems.

MISC.:

Chips, cracks & leakage are all signs of wear and reduce the prices significantly.
Water marks, discolorations, scratches (esp. on acrylic) and hard-water deposits are usually cosmetic. Because many can be removed with effort, they need not affect price.
Accessories are always great to 'throw in' as a bonus when buying a tank, but pricing everything, stating 'will not separate' and expecting a quick sale - not good. Not many people are not going to use all YOUR stuff if they have other ideas for THEIR new tank.

OK, so this is JUST a guide for SELLING your tank(s) and is intended to give a starting point for pricing it (them). I've sold MANY aquarium very quickly under these parameters. You should do well, too, if you don't get greedy.

And buyers? There will be exceptional SET-UPS out there and what you ultimately pay will depend on you, but this (hopefully) gives you a 'ballpark' idea of what you can expect.

We recently sold a 46 gallon bowfront for $120 with nothing included. It was the tank, the cover, which included the light strip, but no bulb and a background. No gravel, no heater, no filter, no nothing. Bare bones. $120. I had lots of offers for $50-60 but held out until I got my full price which happened within 3 days of posting the ad.

I asked him to take off the Filter and hes asking for 100$ now for just the 46 Gal. I'm going to try and negotiate it down, since it lacks any sort of top, which is 50$ for a bowfront.

Deal didin't go through. He wouldn't go down from 100$ for a bare 1 year old tank. Stand (120$) and Top (55) would basically cost me almost 300$, and at that point, i'd rather go with a safer bet and purchase a brand new tank for an extra 50$.

Ziggs180 said:
Deal didin't go through. He wouldn't go down from 100$ for a bare 1 year old tank. Stand (120$) and Top (55) would basically cost me almost 300$, and at that point, i'd rather go with a safer bet and purchase a brand new tank for an extra 50$.

Agreed...

Check petsmart, that's where I got mine.

Petsmart had a whole set for 350$, which I might purchase in a few weeks. But i'm still trying to Bargain hunt.

Ziggs180 said:
Petsmart had a whole set for 350$, which I might purchase in a few weeks. But i'm still trying to Bargain hunt.

The 46 gallon? That's the one I have! If you sign up for the petsmart card you get it for $280, that's not bad at all, so I jumped on it.

Ya that wasn't a good deal I've bought 2 46BF now one saltwater setup including sump/refugium skimmer Uv with pump return pump tank stand lid light powerstrip refuge light sand and the tank was drilled for $110 and my freshwater setup which was a 30-60 HOB 200w heater light lid decor stand and a mountain of extras including a full 10 setup for $50!...point is, patience is key when it comes to CL :)

Edit* also keep in mind I search within 75 miles of my home daily even if I have nothing I "need" lol

In my area there are a bunch of 90-150 gallon tank for about $1/gallon. Most don't come with much besides the tank itself, but I think spending an additional $100 for filters, etc. on a 100 gallon tank you bought for $100 wouldn't be such a bad deal. Make your own stand and canopy :)

That wasn't such a hot deal anyway. I would have passed on it too. HN1 and I got a used 46 bowfront with stand included for 50 bucks. All it needed was a little bit of cleaning up. I wouldn't pay Petsmart's price for a new one either but that's just me being cheap. Try checking out some locally owned shops if you have any in your area. You might be surprised at some of their prices, especially if you can catch a good sale. I assumed for a long time that the big box stores would have the best prices because they buy product in such huge quantities, but I have come to find out that their prices on tanks and equipment (with the exception of the Petco $1/gal sale) are usually pretty awful. JMO

I'll probably try and call several LFS to see what they have. Craigslist looks pretty bad, since most offers are pretty high, and the low ones are a 4+ hour drive away. Are there any websites besides Craigslist where I Could get good deals?

that LFS list actually does help! I've been to several of the stores they have listed. My Search continues!

Back
Top Bottom