17 dead fish 3 seprut tanks all started from fish bought fron the same shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you are doing a water change with babies in the tank, just be careful to keep the siphon low, almost to the gravel, and don't move it around much. Our LFS is notorious for having ich. They have a great selection, and great prices... so I keep going back... I have however learned the benefit of a quarantine tank!
When I get ich in my 10g tank, I usually up the temp to about 80 and add aquarium salt to the filter gradually. I start with a spoonful of salt, then work up to a total of about 4 tsp over the course of several days.
I tend to prefer bottom feeders (dojos, cat fish, plecos, etc), so my experience is somewhat limited... but I do know that if your water quality is bad, its a death sentence to all your fishies! The sooner you do something to improve the conditions, the more of them you can save. You might also try adding some Stress Coat to your tank. I've found it to be very helpful

I agree with mummy shanna, stress coat i have found to help a lot with settling in new fish or stress not so much as a med tho. Just my opinion but i believe it's helped me in the past.
On the problem with the ich though, (sorry to hear of your losses) i definitely believe your ich has been caused by bad water quality! I dont believe your tanks any where near cycled especially with a big more load on the bioload.
I know it's hard to swallow i have friends who have had similar experiences, personally id return any fish I had left to the lfs and resume a fisless cycle. If you wanted to do it with fish use something small and hardy as neons etc are very precise on water quality!
Just my opinions. I hope you get it sorted, good luck!

Thanks for all your help we are doing the 50% water changes every other day and feeding on the days not changing water I'm going bk to shop to day with a water sample and have set my old tank up again to try transfer the other fish how long should I cycal it for as I don't won't to make same mistake again I'm very frustrated with the amount of untrue info on the Internet from now on will just be using this site for help and advices I have also phoned the person who told me 24 hr is fine to cycal a tank when up grading to a bigger tank if u take the fixtures etc and they have apologised the fish are doing alot better and we have only lost 2 more witch is not gr8 I now but much better than the rate they were dieing although between me and the inlaws we have lost 20 fish witch is not good all his other fish are fine just the 10 tetras he bought on Sunday from same shop

Thats good news as long as you keep up what your doing your on the right track your water quality should stay top notch. It definitely be a good idea for you to buy a home test kit, the api masterkit that some one else mentioned earlier is what I use, they are very reliable. Much better than the strips!
The length of time of a cycle? Unfortunately there is NO set length i've read of some people it taking as long as 16 weeks! On average most tanks cycle within 8weeks. You just need to test water daily and if ammonia gets out of hand do a water change to dilute it. Ammonia as little as 0.02ppm is enough to kill off your neons.
What sort of filtration are you using?

Hi Shaymarie, sorry it looks like you have had some really bad advice! Some stuff you said leads me to believe that you are from the UK, am I correct? Pets at home your fish supplier by any chance?

paulace2372 said:
Hi Shaymarie, sorry it looks like you have had some really bad advice! Some stuff you said leads me to believe that you are from the UK, am I correct? Pets at home your fish supplier by any chance?

Lol i assume by your shock Paula your from the UK too?? NEVER buy livestock from pets at home they are terrible quality!

Yeah Im from the Uk, its Paul by the way... Im a dude! lol
Pets at homes fish quality is questionable to say the least! Even worse in the advice given by SOME of their staff. The only reason for this is that their systems are not properly maintained and as a former employee of the company many many years ago - most of the staff are not very bright!
It actually took me to leave and work for another LFS to realise that it is actually a horrible company to work for and that actually dictated a lot of their service quality.

Sorry it seems I have Hijacked this thread with a b**ch and a moan about stuff and after all that I'm betting you will say they were actually from somewhere else! lol

paulace2372 said:
Yeah Im from the Uk, its Paul by the way... Im a dude! lol
Pets at homes fish quality is questionable to say the least! Even worse in the advice given by SOME of their staff. The only reason for this is that their systems are not properly maintained and as a former employee of the company many many years ago - most of the staff are not very bright!
It actually took me to leave and work for another LFS to realise that it is actually a horrible company to work for and that actually dictated a lot of their service quality.

Sorry it seems I have Hijacked this thread with a b**ch and a moan about stuff and after all that I'm betting you will say they were actually from somewhere else! lol

Lol paul sorry DUDE!
I agree i have heard of people getting some horrible advice from pets at home some of their employees should NOT be handing advice on aquarium keeping!

Yeah I am from the uk and most def had bad advice I got the fish from a garden centre my brother in law had his water tested yesterday about 5 and his came back also slightly high took another water sample this morning bout 9 and came back perfect and was told that the water was not the course of the deaths and more than likely bad fish

Shaymarie said:
Yeah I am from the uk and most def had bad advice I got the fish from a garden centre my brother in law had his water tested yesterday about 5 and his came back also slightly high took another water sample this morning bout 9 and came back perfect and was told that the water was not the course of the deaths and more than likely bad fish

What do you mean by slightly high? What were your exact parameters when you got your water tested?

It came back at 0.01 and 0.02 how ever when they were tested after about 3 min my reading was all 0 but then she kept saying they take along time to work and after 10 min she said they were 0.01 and 0.02 it's we are taking up another water sample to a different place today although I'm expecting it to be a dif reading as it's now been a week we r doing all we can to save the fish but just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle we have gone from 22 fish to 6 in a week now my brother inlaws old fish are dieing to now and there molys they bought are also infected all came from same tank it's so disheartening and stressful :(

I understand that ppl using abbreviated words may annoying read some but most people in to days word you this form of righting in every day life face book text etc it Is even axsepted in some exams
I am a high school teacher...computers and business and it is never acceptable to use abbreviations in school work or exams and never like that in the real world except social networking where it is kid talking to kid.

Yeah easy there... High school teacher? In the UK? In the US? I can actually vouch for the concessions made for people suffering with dyslexia in the UK, not that I am myself but I know enough people that are. And before you make any assumption about UK education... It's officially the best in the world! Dyslexia effects different people in different ways, take your opinions and comments somewhere else! Completely unnecessary!!!!

Yeah easy there... High school teacher? In the UK? In the US? I can actually vouch for the concessions made for people suffering with dyslexia in the UK, not that I am myself but I know enough people that are. And before you make any assumption about UK education... It's officially the best in the world! Dyslexia effects different people in different ways, take your opinions and comments somewhere else! Completely unnecessary!!!!
Sorry, I am in the US and was referring to texting type abbreviations..I apologize for the tone...I am also Dyslexic and did not realize that abbreviations help.

take your opinions and comments somewhere else! Completely unnecessary!!!!

The only point anyone is trying to make with regard to the text is that it's really difficult to read. The more difficult it is to read, the less help the poster will get from the forum community. That's all. It's not personal. It's like wanting to help but someone's got your hands tied behind your back.

That's fair enough, I agree it is difficult. However not as difficult as the person may have found it to write. Perhaps this should be let go now. As far as I know fish don't suffer from dyslexia! :)

Back
Top Bottom