Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I don't use a python because I have a floor drain near my tanks. A python would be too slow to drain and too slow to fill. I have a dedicated tap set with a clear hose terminating in a goosneck made of PVC elbows with a tee for the outlet. This allows for rapid filling, if I want. I have a digital thermometer stuck on the outflow pipe from the taps to help adjusting temp.
If you use the Python to drain water up hill, it wastes a lot of water. A 3/4" hose drains much faster than a 1/2" one. I don't have a ton of tanks but there is no way I would go back to buckets.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I will admit, it helps immensely having extra buckets

Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I need to get me some more buckets like that mebbid!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
I need to get me some more buckets like that mebbid!

Haha I picked up a ton of them from the kitchen I used to work in. I have about a dozen now
Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I did a pwc on my 29 last night using just 5gal buckets...every time i added new water to the tank i spilled some in the hardwood floor

Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have been using the Python for nearly 20 years. Hook it to the sink a just water temp on tap, turn valve to fill. Now close valve at the vacuum end in tank, leaving the vacuum in the tank i disconnect the hose from sink and set it out in garden. Come back to tank and open valve at top of vacuum tube. I found the water moves much quicker this way especially if you want to vacuum and I can hook up another fill line and be filling at the same time. This one item saves so much time and effort it is well worth the $50 i put out. I have since bought other attachments and valves. IMO it is a must have, right up there with the filter or heater. Get one you will be glad you did. Makes water changes a breeze.

Point to remember when using the vacuum system, it will suck up fish so you want to have a valve at the vacuum head. I do not vacuum much as it causes upsets to the Eco system is what I found. So I put net material over the intake end and put the vacuum down against the gravel and use a C clamp ( plastic one ) to clamp it in place on top of glass. Also clamp the fill line or it will slip out and be on the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a python to vacuum and send the water into a utility sink when vacuuming. I have a 30 gal plus plastic garbage can as a holding tank. I use an airstone to speed bubling off the chlorine, a heater in the bottom to bring it up to tank temp, and a pond pump to pump it into the tank. I also have another pond pump that pumps water out of the tank into the same utility sink when not vacuuming so I can do push button water changes. I found some plugs that have an on-off switch that the pumps plug into so I can control the pond pumps. The pond pumps connect to the tank and utility sink using PVC pipes and tubing bought from the local home improvement stores. They terminate in the tank at old strainers from broken filters of years past. Never throw any of that stuff out! Holes are put in the system at strategic points to break the syphon when the pumps are turned off.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I will admit, it helps immensely having extra buckets

Love the dual vacuum set up.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
Love the dual vacuum set up.
I would have used 3 if I had them
Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow. That's a lot of buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com