55 G water change, how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will admit, it helps immensely having extra buckets :D

oMKuRwg.jpg
I have a python that attaches to the faucet with a large tube. They also sell ones with a narrow tube like you have that do not attach to the faucet, just go by manual suction. Do you think the narrow tube could be jammed onto or fitted to the larger one? I have narrow spots in the tank like you do.

I have a python that attaches to the faucet with a large tube. They also sell ones with a narrow tube like you have that do not attach to the faucet, just go by manual suction. Do you think the narrow tube could be jammed onto or fitted to the larger one? I have narrow spots in the tank like you do.
Its unlikely you could get a good seal trying to fit 2 different sizes together.

Hey you guys. I decided to update my python. I had the older model with just the 3 ft tubing, no special connections. I'm excited about conquering my next water change with ease.

Here's what I came up with. They didn't have just 1 connection, so I had to piece it together. The 20ft tubing was $7 and all the adapters together were $3.50. I went to Lowes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416532856.924921.jpg

May the force be with you.

Have you tried it out yet?? Wondering how well it would work. ie- no back flow into sink

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey you guys. I decided to update my python. I had the older model with just the 3 ft tubing, no special connections. I'm excited about conquering my next water change with ease.

Here's what I came up with. They didn't have just 1 connection, so I had to piece it together. The 20ft tubing was $7 and all the adapters together were $3.50. I went to Lowes.

View attachment 256236

It should work just fine for filling the tank. Did you add any tape to seal the connections?
I did just spot this on eBay.
View attachment 256255

Not sure what this is for.

I didn't add any tape. I was thinking since it's low pressure, filling should be no problem.

I plan on emptying out the door, not back into the sink. I have not been able to get a suction that strong. (From tank to tank or tank to sink). I've only been able to empty downhill.
How do you get a suction strong enough to empty into the sink. My sink is uphill from my tank by a little bit.

The eBay piece is faucet to 3/8 barb. I thought it was. The 1/2 is faucet. Right? Loo

Hi Kristabutler

I think your ok by not adding Teflon tape, as the pressure won't be there and the fitting will be over the sink. However I think you will appreciate having a y valve at the sink or tap end, also a ball valve at the vacuuming end. I agree that siphoning up to the sink doesn't create as much suction. I put my tank water out into the garden also, this gives the best suction for the vacuum.

By having a ball valve at the vacuum end not only lets you control the vacuum power, but you can turn it off without loosing suction and turn it back on to resume the draining. This is great if you inadvertently happen to suck up something you may not have wanted to.

The Y valve at the tap end helps mainly in the filling of the tank. Once the hose is connected to the faucet the water temp must be measured at the outlet end. Not only does it take time at the other end of the hose your the temp to adjusted, how do you move it to the tank without turning the faucet off.

With the Y valve you can set the valve to drain the faucet water into the sink adjust to the desired temp, just flip the Y valve to divert the water down the vacuum line, with the vacuum end of the hose already secured in the tank.

That's how I have mine set up and works great. No fuss no muss.

Oh one other thing on vacuuming. Unless the gravel is real dirty, it is not a good idea to vacuum all of it at one time. When I first started I did this and found it caused some algae problems. There is beneficial bacteria in the gravel and you disturb it by vacuuming. For years now i only vacuum small areas if even that and haven't had a problem. Just my experience thought I should mention it.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome. Dang your right about the y valve. I haven't done it yet and had no idea is need that. That's great advice.

Krista

you can get the same one I have ( Aqueon 06092 Water Flow Control Valve Assembly ) on Amazon for under 10 bucks and they have the ball valve for the vac also. I have the other green on also that came with my Python setup. That one would leak, I liked the grey color one better.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks you guys. The thread would not fit my sink. :(. So I went back today and got a different piece and it would not fit. I got so frustrated. I ended up just ramming one of the hoses up in the faucet and it fit perfectly and the smaller python hose fits into the bigger python hose perfectly. I cut a little of the bigger on for an adapter. I was like, seriously??
It was Infront of me the whole time.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416588731.980645.jpg

And u don't have to turn the water off to put it up in there. Adjust your water to the temp you like then put it up in there. Lol so easy it's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom