Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

55 G water change, how?

I'm wanting to upgrade again! Lol I still do bucket water changes. How the heck do you do this with a 55 gallon?? I don't want to use buckets. What other options are there without putting your fish in shock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A python water changer is the best bet. It siphons water directly from your tank into the sink and fills straight from the tap.

When you use it just temperature match the water before you put it back into the tank and dose prime to the full volume of the tank.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
A python water changer is the best bet. It siphons water directly from your tank into the sink and fills straight from the tap.

When you use it just temperature match the water before you put it back into the tank and dose prime to the full volume of the tank.
+1

If it wasn't for the Python I don't think I would have kept up with my maintenance early on. On the other hand, I probably also would have had less tanks......
Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Python is similar product works well. In my case my sink is too far away so I drain water out a window and made my own refill line that attaches to the sink. Had to buy 70 feet of clear tubing and an adapter to attach it to the sink but works great.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaButler View Post
I'm wanting to upgrade again! Lol I still do bucket water changes. How the heck do you do this with a 55 gallon?? I don't want to use buckets. What other options are there without putting your fish in shock?

Hello Kris...

I have a 20 gallon, 45 gallon, two 55 gallon and a 60 gallon tank. Still change the water with the buckets. Have been for 10 years or so. But it takes no more than an hour or so per tank and that includes filter cleaning, and I do one tank a day. Not overwhelming. If you go the python route, post something. If it really works for you, I may want to change. It may be the old dog, new tricks thing though.

B
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome you guys!! I think my father used an adapter for sink to garden hose to drain and fill. It dawned on me today. I'm going to check out this python thing tho. I can tolerate moving 10 gallons for changes but anymore is just too tiring. Lol. I will def post what I decide to do.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

CoronaBlue - I had the same problem...I used a garden hose. I just put the adapter on the end of the garden hose and joined the garden hose to the Python hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's going to come in real handy starting Sunday. Just bought a 125 gal tank today. Picking it up this weekend. Couldn't even fathom filling 125 gallon with buckets.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol. That would be a work out!!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Kris...

I have a 20 gallon, 45 gallon, two 55 gallon and a 60 gallon tank. Still change the water with the buckets. Have been for 10 years or so. But it takes no more than an hour or so per tank and that includes filter cleaning, and I do one tank a day. Not overwhelming. If you go the python route, post something. If it really works for you, I may want to change. It may be the old dog, new tricks thing though.

B
I do buckets with my 29...if it ain't broke don't fix it IMO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com