55 G water change, how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to upgrade again! Lol I still do bucket water changes. How the heck do you do this with a 55 gallon?? I don't want to use buckets. What other options are there without putting your fish in shock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A python water changer is the best bet. It siphons water directly from your tank into the sink and fills straight from the tap.

When you use it just temperature match the water before you put it back into the tank and dose prime to the full volume of the tank.

A python water changer is the best bet. It siphons water directly from your tank into the sink and fills straight from the tap.

When you use it just temperature match the water before you put it back into the tank and dose prime to the full volume of the tank.
+1

If it wasn't for the Python I don't think I would have kept up with my maintenance early on. On the other hand, I probably also would have had less tanks......

Python is similar product works well. In my case my sink is too far away so I drain water out a window and made my own refill line that attaches to the sink. Had to buy 70 feet of clear tubing and an adapter to attach it to the sink but works great.

Water Changes

I'm wanting to upgrade again! Lol I still do bucket water changes. How the heck do you do this with a 55 gallon?? I don't want to use buckets. What other options are there without putting your fish in shock?

Hello Kris...

I have a 20 gallon, 45 gallon, two 55 gallon and a 60 gallon tank. Still change the water with the buckets. Have been for 10 years or so. But it takes no more than an hour or so per tank and that includes filter cleaning, and I do one tank a day. Not overwhelming. If you go the python route, post something. If it really works for you, I may want to change. It may be the old dog, new tricks thing though.

B

Awesome you guys!! I think my father used an adapter for sink to garden hose to drain and fill. It dawned on me today. I'm going to check out this python thing tho. I can tolerate moving 10 gallons for changes but anymore is just too tiring. Lol. I will def post what I decide to do. :)

CoronaBlue - I had the same problem...I used a garden hose. I just put the adapter on the end of the garden hose and joined the garden hose to the Python hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to come in real handy starting Sunday. Just bought a 125 gal tank today. Picking it up this weekend. Couldn't even fathom filling 125 gallon with buckets.

Hello Kris...

I have a 20 gallon, 45 gallon, two 55 gallon and a 60 gallon tank. Still change the water with the buckets. Have been for 10 years or so. But it takes no more than an hour or so per tank and that includes filter cleaning, and I do one tank a day. Not overwhelming. If you go the python route, post something. If it really works for you, I may want to change. It may be the old dog, new tricks thing though.

B

I do buckets with my 29...if it ain't broke don't fix it IMO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't use a python because I have a floor drain near my tanks. A python would be too slow to drain and too slow to fill. I have a dedicated tap set with a clear hose terminating in a goosneck made of PVC elbows with a tee for the outlet. This allows for rapid filling, if I want. I have a digital thermometer stuck on the outflow pipe from the taps to help adjusting temp.
If you use the Python to drain water up hill, it wastes a lot of water. A 3/4" hose drains much faster than a 1/2" one. I don't have a ton of tanks but there is no way I would go back to buckets.

I will admit, it helps immensely having extra buckets :D

oMKuRwg.jpg

I need to get me some more buckets like that mebbid!

I did a pwc on my 29 last night using just 5gal buckets...every time i added new water to the tank i spilled some in the hardwood floor :(

I have been using the Python for nearly 20 years. Hook it to the sink a just water temp on tap, turn valve to fill. Now close valve at the vacuum end in tank, leaving the vacuum in the tank i disconnect the hose from sink and set it out in garden. Come back to tank and open valve at top of vacuum tube. I found the water moves much quicker this way especially if you want to vacuum and I can hook up another fill line and be filling at the same time. This one item saves so much time and effort it is well worth the $50 i put out. I have since bought other attachments and valves. IMO it is a must have, right up there with the filter or heater. Get one you will be glad you did. Makes water changes a breeze.

Point to remember when using the vacuum system, it will suck up fish so you want to have a valve at the vacuum head. I do not vacuum much as it causes upsets to the Eco system is what I found. So I put net material over the intake end and put the vacuum down against the gravel and use a C clamp ( plastic one ) to clamp it in place on top of glass. Also clamp the fill line or it will slip out and be on the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use a python to vacuum and send the water into a utility sink when vacuuming. I have a 30 gal plus plastic garbage can as a holding tank. I use an airstone to speed bubling off the chlorine, a heater in the bottom to bring it up to tank temp, and a pond pump to pump it into the tank. I also have another pond pump that pumps water out of the tank into the same utility sink when not vacuuming so I can do push button water changes. I found some plugs that have an on-off switch that the pumps plug into so I can control the pond pumps. The pond pumps connect to the tank and utility sink using PVC pipes and tubing bought from the local home improvement stores. They terminate in the tank at old strainers from broken filters of years past. Never throw any of that stuff out! Holes are put in the system at strategic points to break the syphon when the pumps are turned off.

Back
Top Bottom