646 lb. Catfish caught in Thailand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! I want one!

But, I don't think it would fit in my 58 gal tank, tho. :(
And it might squish my plants...and accidently inhale my tetras! :lol:
And I think I would have to buy 100 pound bags of sinking wafers. :lol:

Did you guys read the article? Looks like people are slowly killing off all nature. Humans kill and destroy to make our lives "easier". You may think oh, well it's only 1 more tree getting knocked down to be used for paper or firewood or whatever, what about it's life and all the countless animals using it for their homes? Plants and animals lives should be considered more.

but the thing is we are already in this hole, and all it is going to do is go down the drain, but unless something DRASTIC happens people wont care, its only when HORRIBLE things happen people relize and also too late...

virus said:
but the thing is we are already in this hole, and all it is going to do is go down the drain, but unless something DRASTIC happens people wont care, its only when HORRIBLE things happen people relize and also too late...

channel catfish actually get that big.. its not from pollution or some other unnatural cause..

http://www.webspawner.com/users/fishingbaittripods/carpandcatfishf.html

The largest is the wels or danubian catfish native to the rivers of central and eastern Europe and the only catfish found in British waters. It feeds mainly on fish, but will eat almost anything including frogs, rats and water birds. In the large rivers of Russia such as the Dneiper it can reach over 650 pounds and a length of 16 feet; such fish are probably around a hundred years old.

I grew up on Danube. I remember, it wasn't unusual local fishermen pulling out 400 pounders.

Those guys are known as the 'gentle giant' they don't have teeth and typically feed on algae. Amazing right? as a fry, they are about 1/4 inch long, by eleven days they are 1 inch long. So they grow pretty fast.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/s_c_286.php

That's the website about different catfish. I was researching my paroon and found disheartening things but that also has some other catfish (ones that can get 16 feet long) Like "Silurus glanis, the wels, have been reported up to 16 feet 8 inches and weighing over 730 pounds"

Ever want to go swimming in Romania...

yeah, it is sad to hear that all the giants are slowly disappearing. I have seen a 120 lb flat head, and I thought that was huge :lol:

The fishermen had hoped to sell the fish to environmental groups, which planned to release it to spawn upriver, but it died before it could be handed over and then was chopped up and sold in pieces to villagers as food.

Why couldn't the fisherman just allow the fish to spawn up river :?

Doubt that was ever his intent... Can't really blame him... A 646 pound catfish will feed lots of people. It is a endangered species, which is the bad part.

I just read a report about 3 weeks ago about how they released a handful of these catfish back in the river to spawn. Bet a few of those have already been caught and eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom